Day 1 of dry ferts now 2 dead cories - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Day 1 of dry ferts now 2 dead cories

Yesterday I started dosing dry ferts from GLA and when I came home from work today there were 2 dead panda cories in my tank and 1 Molly that looks like its on its way too. Did I overdose my tank? Are there certain fish that are sensitive to dry ferts? I have a 46 gallon medium but not heavily planted. I doses 3/8 tsp kno3 and 1/8 tsp h2hpo4 one day after a 50% wc where I also dose 4ml of flourish comp. Also doing flourish excel in this tank. I tested nitrates and it looks like they're in the 40-80ppm range using API teat kit. Any opinions, advice, and suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have no fish trouble with dry ferts at all even i overdosed sometimes. I have angels, german blue rams, gold ram and neon tetra ( should they be included as sensitive fish too). The problems i can think of would be : shock of temperature ( as you do 50%), there might be too much of Excel dosed will cause fish shock as ph changes dramatically ( < this is my own experience with excel) but somehow 4ml for 46 gallon is too little to cause it. What dechlorinator did you use while doing the water change? I also noticed that overdosed seachem prime will somehow reduced the oxygen in the water, adding an airstone solved mine.

Hi its Nam =D
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I dose a ton more then you do and have never had anything die from ferts. What conditioner are you using? Water temp? CO2?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
^^+1 highly unlikely.

I dose 5ml of Excel daily into my 12g.
The only other thing that comes to mind are old posts here on TPT reporting contaminated batch from GLA, check your ammonia, just in case.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I realize its unlikely and I'm not trying to put the blame on dry ferts but I just threw the question out there to see if anybody has dealt with the same problem because all the fish seemed healthy prior to today but as far as the tank it's low light no co2 tank but I do use excel. I use prime as water conditioner and the water temp is 76-78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
^^+1 highly unlikely.

I dose 5ml of Excel daily into my 12g.
The only other thing that comes to mind are old posts here on TPT reporting contaminated batch from GLA, check your ammonia, just in case.

v3

Well I hope that a contaminated batch isn't the cause of this but now I'm hesitant to dose again. It's only a weekly dose not full ei dosing so I probably will anyways and hope for the best. I didn't check the ammonia but I will. So if a batch was contaminated would that cause an ammonia spike? Ammonia was at 0 a couple days ago but I'll have to check it again

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-21-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode