Better nitrate test kit than API? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Better nitrate test kit than API?

I don't like the API test kit. It's too hard to see if I have 10, 20 or even 40 ppm in the tank. Perhaps my color vision is just bad.

Anyone does anyone have an alternative to using API brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like the Sera NO3 kit, and it's pretty easy to read. A little involved, using 4 separate reagents (3 liquid and 1 dry), but much more accurate by all accounts. I love the whole Aqua-Test box, actually, much better and easier to read than API.

Here's a sponsor who carries them:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=327002

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are willing to pay the price, LaMotte makes excellent test kits as well.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
If you are willing to pay the price, LaMotte makes excellent test kits as well.
^^^+1 LaMotte or Elos but they are pricey.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool. I'll check them out. All I'm really concerned with is nitrate and phosphate. Too bad you can't really test for K+
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also get meaningless readings with the API liquid tests. It all looks pretty much the same. When I built some known levels in samples and tried different test methods, I came up with the Jungle test strips bought from Wal-Mart as giving me the best color difference. Since the colors can be seen differently under different light, I think we all need to set a standard for what we see under the light we use. Since it is all a color judgement , using the same color as the same number each time and watching for change is far more important to me than the actual number.
I do like the API phosphate test better than others.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed. The phosphate test is pretty good. Nitrate is only good for knowing if you have less than 10 ppm or over 10 ppm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought the Sera master kit, and was pretty happy with it. The only thing I had trouble with was the KH and GH titration (but I've always had issues with titration...), and I suspect that is because my water tends to be pretty soft to begin with.

I recently exhausted one of the reagents on both the NO3 and NH4 kits, which is kinda frustrating, as the other reagents seem mostly full. I did get two complete tank cyclings, plus a handful of other results, so I can't really complain too much.

Recently bought the API kit until I get something else ordered, and it does seem a bit less accurate and harder to determine the colors then the Sera kit.

The Sera NO3 kit might be more work then the API (not certain about that with all the shaking involved with the API one), and I'm dubious of how precise my measuring of the dry reagent was with the little spoon, but the results seemed to be fairly accurate and consistent during cycling.

I've got a Nutrafin kit on order, so I'll get to see how that compares, and maybe I'll try some Elos kits next...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I bought the Sera master kit, and was pretty happy with it. The only thing I had trouble with was the KH and GH titration (but I've always had issues with titration...), and I suspect that is because my water tends to be pretty soft to begin with.
To get more exact you can use 10ml water instead of 5ml, with each drop then being 0.5 dGH or dKH. I find that it's not a subtle change once you hit it, though.
Agreed on that little spoon.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Cool. I'll check them out. All I'm really concerned with is nitrate and phosphate. Too bad you can't really test for K+
I've seen Hanna K+ photometers for reasonable $ used here and there.
The method is turbimetric generally.
I think Lamotte makes one for K+, 30$ or something, same for the NO3 and PO4.

You need to make a known standard if you want to put ANY FAITH in your test methods, regardless of the brands. That said, Lamotte has been the most consistent for NO3 of all the brands I've used that are under 100$, not photometers.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode