Starting a Seachem flourish dosing regiem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Question Starting a Seachem flourish dosing regiem?

I'd like to start dosing Seachem Excel in my tank but I don't want to do the whole cap full on first dose, I worry it may negativity effect my old dwarf gourami in the tank? I also have flourish, potassium and phosphorous.
Tank stats:
size:10 gallon
lights: 2 zoo med ultra bright 10 watt u shaped cfl bulbs with reflectors 15-17 inches above substrate
filter: aqua clear 20
fauna: dwarf gourami
flora: 3 anubias anna, 6-7 stems anacharis, two agrentinian swords, unknown (lots) of java fern (mostly plantlets), and about 6 different mosses.

Any hints on dosing amounts or frequency for these low light (mostly) slow growing plants would be helpful, thank you.

Do you dose the day of water change (after water change)? Or the next day? Would it be bad to do all 4 in 1 day or should the flourish, potassium, and phosphate be spread out?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-19-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added quetions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Have you seen the dosing chart that Seachem has on their website?

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

It provides a starting point for your dosing regimen if you wish to use their products.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Have you seen the dosing chart that Seachem has on their website?

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

It provides a starting point for your dosing regimen if you wish to use their products.
ah thank you for the link, i had not seen that one.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
According to that dosing regimen it calls for Excel 6 out of 7 days.

Make Sunday Day 1 and do water changes on Saturday Day 7?

I have Flourish but I'm going to start dosing Excel myself actually. (Just ordered it)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-21-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
For low dose quantity, I find a pipette is easier than trying to count threads on the cap. Many test kits (iron, phos) come with a 0.5 ml pipette. I use the 0.5 ml pipette on my 20G low tech tanks to dose excel and flourish.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post

I have Flourish but I'm going to start dosing Excel myself actually. (Just ordered it)
You can make any day of the week Day 1, it is arbitrary. I make Monday Day 1 and Sunday becomes Day 7. I like doing water changes on the weekend, since I have more time.

Regarding the Excel, I tend to ignore Seachem's instructions (to double dose on water change days). You can just dose that at the regular dose, even on the day you do your water change.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post

I assume that's what seachem intended since their chart 9linked by anotehr user above) calls for Prime on "day 7" which is a de-chlorinator so that would mean water change time. I head to read over the chart and looked up their other products for day 7 to confirm that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankRookie View Post
For low dose quantity, I find a pipette is easier than trying to count threads on the cap. Many test kits (iron, phos) come with a 0.5 ml pipette. I use the 0.5 ml pipette on my 20G low tech tanks to dose excel and flourish.
I actually bought a batch of needle-less syringes to use for dosing, can measrue as little as 0.01 ml on them. Have one for each bottle (and one for my ammonia bottle for the fauna-less tank) that are are labled so they don't get mixed up and have in-pure doses. I started out with dividing doses for a 10 gallon but might also half that since its low light plants, will see how it looks after two weeks before making that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You can make any day of the week Day 1, it is arbitrary. I make Monday Day 1 and Sunday becomes Day 7. I like doing water changes on the weekend, since I have more time.

Regarding the Excel, I tend to ignore Seachem's instructions (to double dose on water change days). You can just dose that at the regular dose, even on the day you do your water change.
I use to do water changes for the 10 gallon during the week but I decided its quick enough to do, since my dwarf gourami is not all that messy, and moved it to Sunday. I don't think i'll be doing the large 5ml (cap full) dose for 'day 1', instead sticking with the 1 ml for 10 gallon dosing.

I'm 2 days into dosing now, nothing magical has happened (but don't except anything really). I'm just glad it didn't negatively effect my old fish. No signs of plants melting from it yet either (hopefully won't ever see that).

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode