Nutrient defiancey in a shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nutrient defiancey in a shrimp tank

Looking at my glosso I'm guessing I'm low on potassium and maybe iron or nitrogen? The tank is fully of baby shrimp so I haven't added any frets in a while. Is there anything safe to give the plans that won't hurt the shrimp lets?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Planted Member

Just use Seachem series of fertz for now. Shrimp safe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks like potassium deficiency. The characteristic symptoms of potassium deficiency is holes appearing in old leaves and not the new, the holes have a yellow margin of damage which enlarges with time and the plant is otherwise healthy.

You can add potassium sulfate (K2SO4) to the tank without harming shrimp. Just dissolve it in water before you add it to the tank.

Use the Fertilator to calculate how much you need to add to get the potassium to at least 15 ppm: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

Also, in general plants only develop one deficiency at a time. This is because they run out of nutrients and stop growing preventing them from using any other nutrient and by the same token, preventing them from running out of other nutrients.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have both seachem and dry frets. Is any one of the options 'safer' for shrimp over the other or is it all the same in the end. My excel dosing was hurting the shrimp let survival rate so I quit all frets this round of babies

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Plant Whisperer

Most nutrients are shrimp safe when dosed correctly. Excel isn't a nutrient, it is actually a modified gluteraldehyde product which is used as a disinfectant in the medical world. Usually it is safe to use, but perhaps small shrimp are sensitive to it.

If it were me, I'd use K2SO4, but you can dose using liquid ferts if you want.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it. Dose tonight. I have been doing small bits of water changes throughout the week to keep things stable How often should I add potassium ? Or just when I see signs of deficiency

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM
Plant Whisperer

It should be fairly frequent. Potassium is the first or second major nutrient for plants, along with nitrogen.

At least every time you do a big water change you should add some back.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'll do it weekly. Thanks for your help

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've found that K2S04 and KNO3 raise TDS levels dramatically, and I think it cost me my last batch of bee shrimp.

Do you guys find this TDS is not a problem?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode