Isn't KH2PO4 suppose to look like salt/sugar? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Question Isn't KH2PO4 suppose to look like salt/sugar?

I got some more dry ferts in today and the KH2PO4 I received doesn't look like the KH2PO4 I have got several times before. All the stuff I have had in the past had the look of sugar or salt(crystal looking salt). The stuff I just got has the look of powdered sugar, kind of the same look as CaSO4. Has anybody had KH2PO4 that has this consistency or look. I just wanted to double check to make sure there isn't different looking salts or if this was a mix up and I got something else.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have a phosphate test kit? If so take some RO or distilled water and put an 1/8th of teaspoon in a small jug. The result should be off the scale if it's true kh2po4.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yikes, I better test my K2SO4 as well. I had also noticed the same difference in my new batch of ferts compared with the old batch I had.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sounds normal to me. Salts can take various forms, depending on how they were produced.

Just test with a phosphate test kit, if you want to be sure.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the replies. I have never seen it look like this and wanted to make sure that it wasn't something different. I have yet to test it but I talked with the seller and he assured me this is the right stuff and that's how it looks. I trust that they know what they are talking about and have no reason to believe differently. At least for future reference I know that it can look different than the stuff I have always got in the past.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Was it monopotassium phosphate, KH2PO4, or was it dipotassium phosphate, K2HPO4?
This is dipotassium phosphate:

Dipotassium phosphate has twice the K.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Was it monopotassium phosphate, KH2PO4, or was it dipotassium phosphate, K2HPO4?
This is dipotassium phosphate:

Dipotassium phosphate has twice the K.
That's exactly what it looks like. I guess I have K2HPO4 and not KH2PO4. I guess a little more K won't hurt anything. Does anyone else use this instead of KH2PO4?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned

Where did you get dipotassium phosphate? I'd rather have that than mono-K because of the extra potassium.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Where did you get dipotassium phosphate? I'd rather have that than mono-K because of the extra potassium.
I got it from Nilocg on this forum. I can't say for sure that's what he is selling as he has it listed as KH2PO4 but it doesn't look like the KH2PO4 I have always got in the past. You might want to check with him and he could tell you for sure but I do know it has a different consistency than the stuff I have got before.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
You need to be sure which one you have, you cannot dose the same amount of each and get the same ppm value. They need separate calculations for an appropriate dose.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
You need to be sure which one you have, you cannot dose the same amount of each and get the same ppm value. They need separate calculations for an appropriate dose.
Yeah I figured I would need to dose more if it is K2HPO4 to get the same Phosphate as when I was dosing KH2PO4. I will try to contact him and see if he knows for sure what it is.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

You can use Wet's Nutrient Calculator and input K2HPO4 to get the desired amount you should dose.

http://rota.la/
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I promise you guys that it is monopotassium phosphate, kh2po4, 0-51-34. I can get a picture of the bag if you guys want.

Last edited by nilocg; 01-21-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: d
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for responding Colin. I just wanted to be sure I was calculating for the right fert. It wouldn't have made a difference to me one way or the other what it was as they are pretty much the same. Now we all know. I guess I learned something. That the dry ferts we use can look different. Thanks again.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

If it's monopotassium phosphate, is should look like this:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode