New-What should I start with? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
New-What should I start with?

Well I am doing my first planted tank. I have a Finnex fugeray 30" on my 20 long. I have eco complete substrate mixed with fluorite black. Was looking to put some ludwigia, maybe rotala, reineckki, the reddish plants, maybe a small sword and I was making going to carpet it with Dwarf hair grass. How should I dose and what should I dose with? I would like to figure this out before I purchase my plants so I know what to do! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi there. You can start by looking at this link for EI dosing which is the easiest.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

I assume you know where to get the ferts you need online. The fugerray should provide medium light in a 20 L and if you use co2 the 20-40g dosing should work fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use PPS PRO and have had success with it so far. My tank is only 5 weeks old, but wow.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...r-package.html

It is an easy program to follow.

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Hi there. You can start by looking at this link for EI dosing which is the easiest.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

I assume you know where to get the ferts you need online. The fugerray should provide medium light in a 20 L and if you use co2 the 20-40g dosing should work fine.
Actually I'm not really sure where to get them online! Could you give me a link? Only medium light? I was told that at 12" the fugeray puts out 48 PAR. Thats high medium to low high light right? I have atleast 3" of eco complete. but I'm probably still at 12" considering the fugeray is on like 2-3" legs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
High end of med level. (if 48 is correct)
http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index....ditU=1&Regit=2
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the links! Might try the PPS!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

[QUOTE=Positron;5093082]Hi there. You can start by looking at this link for EI dosing which is the easiest.[QUOTE]

Would someone explain how EI is easier than pre mixing a solution and injecting a measured amount in each day?

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
[quote=Lab_Man;5100018][QUOTE=Positron;5093082]Hi there. You can start by looking at this link for EI dosing which is the easiest.
Quote:

Would someone explain how EI is easier than pre mixing a solution and injecting a measured amount in each day?
You can make a liquid solution using the EI method just as easy as you can with PPS-PRO. With EI you will end up dosing 6 days a week instead of 7 days a week so its WAY EASIER. Just joking. But it really just comes down to preference and what you want to do.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know that everyone has their personal preference regarding fertilizers ie EI/PPS PRP. I can only go from experience. Mt tank is only 5 weeks old and is experiencing immense growth. I'll stick with PPS PRO for now.

My tank journal:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
[quote=nilocg;5100114][quote=Lab_Man;5100018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post

You can make a liquid solution using the EI method just as easy as you can with PPS-PRO. With EI you will end up dosing 6 days a week instead of 7 days a week so its WAY EASIER. Just joking. But it really just comes down to preference and what you want to do.
WAY EASIER is subjective. For a beginner that doesn't want run into problems with plant deficiency then it is easier. Being able to take out the guessing work of ferts and focusing on co2 takes a lot of the hassle out of the situation.

Personally I don't use EI anymore and it's easier for me to add what I know my plants use. When I first started, however, EI really helped me target what I needed to focus on most: co2.

The differences between PPS-PRO and EI isn't just the dosing schedule either.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
[quote=Positron;5101202][quote=nilocg;5100114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_Man View Post

WAY EASIER is subjective. For a beginner that doesn't want run into problems with plant deficiency then it is easier. Being able to take out the guessing work of ferts and focusing on co2 takes a lot of the hassle out of the situation.

Personally I don't use EI anymore and it's easier for me to add what I know my plants use. When I first started, however, EI really helped me target what I needed to focus on most: co2.

The differences between PPS-PRO and EI isn't just the dosing schedule either.
The WAY EASIER comment was a joke.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can buy ferts from forum member Nilocq -- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ghlight=nilocg. I always buy my dry ferts from him. I see he now has new liquid ferts. That might help get you started. I prefer dry ferts so I can tailor them to my specific tank needs -- I have 5 tanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
LOL .. I just noticed Nilocg was one responding in this thread. Sorry Colin .. didn't even see that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode