CSM+B and Seachem Flourish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
CSM+B and Seachem Flourish

I made the switch to dry ferts about 6 months ago. I've had pretty good growth with my dosing schedule. I've had to back down a bit as my nitrate levels refused to come down from 40-60, even after frequent large water changes with nitrate at 0.

I'm finally getting the nitrates down, I was able to get a heater hooked up so I can use my r/o unit again.

I have almost an entire bottle of Seachem flourish left over from when I was doing the seachem line. How much of a difference is there between the csm+b and flourish. Would it be overkill to use both in the tank? (55g well planted btw) I've noticed my corymosa's new growth is a bit deformed, bright green but a bit twisted and not growing a full leaf (only seems to grown half the side of the leaf) I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my dosing. I've only had the corymbosa in the tank for a few weeks, my giant hygro is doing very well. So I'm a bit confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm not sure if I would be using both at the same time. It does sound like overkill since some of their nutrients overlap -- unless you lower each dose accordingly. Perhaps use up the flourish first or alternate weeks?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have to use tap water during the winter time, generally I use a 75% r/o to 25% tap for my water changes. I've been using tap (20ppm nitrate) water since nov, my nitrates shot up really hight. So I stopped dosing kno3 and stuck with kh2po4, csm+b and seachem iron twice a week.

When I made my liquid solution I used the calc to deteremine the amount of grams of each per 500ml solution. I'm not 100% I did it correctly. I'm probably going to ask for help on that once I run out at the end of the month. I'm still learning/figuring out the dry ferts and how much/when. It was easy when I was using the r/o as a water change would drop the nitrates from 40 to 15, my water changes were based on my nitrate number.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
I've noticed my corymosa's new growth is a bit deformed, bright green but a bit twisted and not growing a full leaf (only seems to grown half the side of the leaf) I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my dosing.
Can you post a few up close photos of the plants and maybe a few of the other plants in the tank? Take pictures of any damaged areas you see.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will snag some photos of the corymbosa tonight, all of the other plants in the tank are growing great.

here is the tank for reference
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...121&highlight=
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like you have the raw material to experiment and decide for yourself about CSM or Flourish.

Why not dose CSM for a couple of months or so and watch plant growth, health etc. Then change to flourish for traces and iron. You can easily calculate an equivalent using a nutrient calculator. I would love to see the difference.

In regards to your corymosa's new growth, post photos. Zapin's is quite knowledgeable about deficiencies and/or toxicities of aquatic plants. You won't find too many out there more familiar on the subject.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Plant Whisperer

What is your GH reading? Are you adding calcium or magnesium? If so, how much are you adding?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I added diy co2 to this tank on black friday, I put the hygro in the tank mid to late dec.

KH: 4
GH: 6
PH: 7.0

For my liquid solutions I did the following
(500ml of r/o)
kno3
98.75g

kh2po4
16.27g

csm+b
57.97g

Kno3-sunday, tuesday, thursday
kh2po4-sunday, tuesday, thusday
5ml of solution each

csm+b-Monday, Wednesday, saturday
Seachem iron: Monday, wednesday

non + root tabs under the main plants and then spaced out from there about every 5-6 inches.

I am pulling 20 gallons of water out weekly, figuring it's a 55g, with 5 inches of substrate, I was only at 45g of water in the tank.

I have no idea what my calcium or magnesium are at. I'm going to look up how to test for those.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to swing by the lfs tonight and grab a CA test kit, I will report back tomorrow with my findings.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Plant Whisperer

Sounds good, I'll wait for that.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

from what i've found the only magnesium testing kits are for salt water tanks, will they work the same on a planted tank or will I be fine just knowing the Ca numbers?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Plant Whisperer

Yes, you can use the GH test and the Ca test to calculate the Mg level. Basically only Ca and Mg make up GH so it is a simple subtraction to find out Mg levels. Sometimes the LFS will have a calcium test kit there that they can use to test your water for you for free.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Zapins, I post numbers tonight or in the morning.

I know my calcium has to be low, I'm having issues with keeping mystery snails alive. The last 3 became hollow, falling apart messes pretty quickly.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gh:6
Calcium:120ppm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode