High bubble rate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
High bubble rate?

Is a high bps normal?

I have a 75 gal tank with 15lb co2 tank + aquatek solenoid. My plants have been dying recently and I couldn't figure out what was going on so I finally went out and purchased a drop checker and found the co2 level in my tank was low. I've bumped it up now but my bps now is too fast for me to count. I am using a cerges reactor and was wondering if having this high co2 bps was normal. Here's a video (sorry for the horizontal feed):

http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/tl...h/062.mp4.html

Here is my tank journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ght=meisterluv

Last edited by meisterluv; 01-10-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterluv View Post
Is a high bps normal?

I have a 75 gal tank with 15lb co2 tank + aquatek solenoid. My plants have been dying recently and I couldn't figure out what was going on so I finally went out and purchased a drop checker and found the co2 level in my tank was low. I've bumped it up now but my bps now is too fast for me to count. I am using a cerges reactor and was wondering if having this high co2 bps was normal. Here's a video (sorry for the horizontal feed):

http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/tl...h/062.mp4.html

Here is my tank journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ght=meisterluv
what is the PSI on the lower gauge? bps isn't very accurate way to judge the co2 in the water, look at plants and fish to see how they respond. i have same or more bps running in my reactor.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
what is the PSI on the lower gauge? bps isn't very accurate way to judge the co2 in the water, look at plants and fish to see how they respond. i have same or more bps running in my reactor.
Still new to planted tanks so excuse my confusion. Lower gauge = the left guage? If so, its around 60psi. The fish seem to be fine as there is a decent amount of water agitation. Plants were dieing until I up'd my bps, hopefully they get revitalized.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your left gauge is cylinder pressure, it reads 800 psi. This is normal for a full tank.

The right gauge is reading 110 psi.

Way too high for your set up.

What kind of diffuser do you have?

Normal is ~ 10 to 30 psi

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No diffuser. The line is being fed straight in to my cerges reactor.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dialed back the pressure to roughly 20psi. Is it normal that I can't get a constant pressure? ie. It will stay at 20psi dip down to 15psi and then jump back up to 20psi.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I usually run 40-50 psi as my working pressure where the tank pressure hovers around 800 psi. All depends on ambient temps.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The working pressure will depend on your CO2 hardware.

For example, my CO2 diffuser needs 30 psi to properly atomize the CO2. Then I adjust the needle valve to the bubble count that my tank needs to maintain 30 ppm.

How many bubbles per second to achieve 30 ppm is different for each tank.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i have a feeling you might be getting build up of co2 in your reactor, co2 not being dissolved properly, otherwise with that high psi and BPS you should gas everything in the tank. you are at 100+ psi on lower gauge, you will blow up the diffuser if you use one, reactor can handle more psi, reduce it down to 35-40psi range. can you post a pic of the reactor and the way its hooked up, what kind of filter.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The higher the working pressure, the more bps it pushes out. If you set it on low 5 - 10 psi, you can control the bps better with the stock needle valve. You don't need high psi for a reactor.

Just a note, anyone with a custom regulator can go up to 50 psi + and maintain less than 1 bps but those guys just do it for the bragging rights.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 AM
Planted Member

I can't count the bubbles on my 75 either and, while I agree your pressure is high, the bubble counter is only really useful as a means to gauge flow relative to your norm (whatever that may be). On its own it tells you nothing useful about the amount of co2 in the water. Personally, I turn up the co2 so the plants start to pearl a little after a couple of hours of light/co2. If the fish are up on the surface trying to get air or looking unhappy in a corner I back it off. Then I leave it the heck alone. Set and forget. I don't care much about pearling other than as an indicator of co2 and it is a pretty reliable gauge (except when I do a wc). Hope this is useful.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
i have a feeling you might be getting build up of co2 in your reactor, co2 not being dissolved properly, otherwise with that high psi and BPS you should gas everything in the tank. you are at 100+ psi on lower gauge, you will blow up the diffuser if you use one, reactor can handle more psi, reduce it down to 35-40psi range. can you post a pic of the reactor and the way its hooked up, what kind of filter.
The clear hose on the left is coming from my eheim 2217 out and the green tubing goes back in to the tank, and then there's the co2 tubing coming in at the T. There's a 1" pvc pipe inside the reactor as instructed in the cerges DIY guide. The reactor does sound like there's running water in it some times but when i go to purge it there isn't much air that's released.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

do you have sponge inside the reactor? this helped my reactor diffuse the co2 much better. are you using spray bar? how is it positioned? not sure whats going on in your tank, normally with so much co2 and while using reactor you should see the fish gasping within first hour. what kind of lighting you using? i think we will need more info about your tank and maybe then we will figure out why you have co2 issue. i know your main question was regarding the bps, but i think we should consider the proper co2 diffusion as well.

i looked at your photo bucket pics and those plants aren't looking so good, you don't have enough plant to begin with, i don't know who is using all that co2 you are diffusing in your tank when there is hardly any plant in there.

Last edited by happi; 01-11-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: NA
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
do you have sponge inside the reactor? this helped my reactor diffuse the co2 much better. are you using spray bar? how is it positioned? not sure whats going on in your tank, normally with so much co2 and while using reactor you should see the fish gasping within first hour. what kind of lighting you using? i think we will need more info about your tank and maybe then we will figure out why you have co2 issue. i know your main question was regarding the bps, but i think we should consider the proper co2 diffusion as well.

i looked at your photo bucket pics and those plants aren't looking so good, you don't have enough plant to begin with, i don't know who is using all that co2 you are diffusing in your tank when there is hardly any plant in there.
I have a spray bar vertically along the back. This is the one that is feeding co2 in to the tank. I also have a spray bar horizontally along the top for water agitation. I'm looking in to getting more plants but bought this first batch to see how things would go. I was out of town for a week while my cousin watched the house sadly the co2 wasn't on during that time thus the outcome. I'll get a sponge inside the reactor though.

Tank Size: 75 gal

Lighting:
Coral Life T5HO 1:6700k (28w), 1:10000 (54w) = 82w (?) Directly on top of glass top.

Filtration:
2:Eheim 2217

Substrate:
40lbs Eco-Complete, 50lbs random white sand

Flura:
Eleocharis parvula, Cryptocryne undulata, Lilaeopsis 'Mauritius', Pogostemon erectus, and a lot of random duck weed :\

Fuana:
11: Rummy Nose, 2: German Blue Rams, 3: SAE (I've read that you're not suppose to put in fish right away when establishing a planted tank but I couldn't resist)

Fertilizer: Plantex CSM+B

CO2:
15lb co2 with aquatek solenoid, DIY cerges reactor
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterluv View Post
I have a spray bar vertically along the back. This is the one that is feeding co2 in to the tank. I also have a spray bar horizontally along the top for water agitation. I'm looking in to getting more plants but bought this first batch to see how things would go. I was out of town for a week while my cousin watched the house sadly the co2 wasn't on during that time thus the outcome. I'll get a sponge inside the reactor though.

Tank Size: 75 gal

Lighting:
Coral Life T5HO 1:6700k (28w), 1:10000 (54w) = 82w (?) Directly on top of glass top.

Filtration:
2:Eheim 2217

Substrate:
40lbs Eco-Complete, 50lbs random white sand

Flura:
Eleocharis parvula, Cryptocryne undulata, Lilaeopsis 'Mauritius', Pogostemon erectus, and a lot of random duck weed :\

Fuana:
11: Rummy Nose, 2: German Blue Rams, 3: SAE (I've read that you're not suppose to put in fish right away when establishing a planted tank but I couldn't resist)

Fertilizer: Plantex CSM+B

CO2:
15lb co2 with aquatek solenoid, DIY cerges reactor
your lights aren't high enough, maybe less than medium light, but good enough for now until you learn more about plants. for fert you are only dosing csm+b?? where is NPK? how much csm+b are you dosing? by looking at some of your plants they also might be suffering from Trace toxicity, you might be adding too much csm+b. some of your plants looks like they were grown Emersed, is that correct? do not dose too much csm+b, it does no good for plants if its excess, cut it down to 0.1ppm fe from csm+b about 3x week for now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode