New Tank , plants coming Thursday - need help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank , plants coming Thursday - need help

I just started my first fresh water planted tank. I have been doing saltwater reef for awhile with no problems. So I figured this would be my next project.

I have a 30 gallon tank which has been cycled for about 2 months now. This Thursday I am going to be putting in the plants.

I ordered everything from aquariumplants.com and they have suggested this as my supplements.
1)AquaFertz Total - Pellets
2) AquaFertz Total - Liquid
3) Seachem - Flourish, potassium

Just wondering if this is what people use or am I missing something?

My parameters are:
KH 4
GH 7
PH 6.7 (without CO2 it is 7.0 - with CO2 I have it set for 6.7)
No3 - 0
Ammonia - 0

I have about 12-14 fish (small ones)

Running two strips of leds built from Lumenblaster: Front one is 10,000 and the back one is 6,300. Should I run these at 100% or dial down?

I'm also running a pressurized CO2 system with a PH controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will list the plants which are coming in below with the amount next to it.

Item
XXL Balansae (Cryptocoryne crispatula var. Balansae) 20
Crinum Calimistratum 12
Crinum aquatica (Crinum natans) 10 Hairgrass, Dwarf (Eleocharis acicularis ) "Mat" (10"x10") 1
Ammannia Senegalensis 1
Cabomba Furcata 1
Hygrophila Pinnatifida 1
Limnophila hippuroides 1
Mayaca 1
Myrio, tuberculatum 'Red' 1
Nesaea Crassicaulis 1
Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden' 1
Nesaea Red 1
Pogostemon stellate 1
Rotala Wallichii 1
Aponogeton, Madagascar Lace 3
Myrio, mattogrossense 1
Bolbitis 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I like how that site says not to use liquid fertilizer because it causes algae but then sells liquid fertilizer on the same page?? Am I missing something there?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just read what you are referring to. I think they mean don't just use liquid but it surely reads the way you took it.

Any comments on my questions though. Thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Im not sure what is in the liquid fert so I cant be 100% sure but it looks like you are missing nitrogen and phosphate from your dosing. I know there will be some in the root tabs but its probably not going to be enough with pressurized co2.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

are there any particular brands you recommend?

Ok, I broke down and ordered from Greenleaf. I ordered:
•Micros - •Plantex CSM + B - 1 / 2 Pound

•Macros - •Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - 1 Pound
•Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 1 / 2 Pound
•Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - 1 Pound

Does anybody have a recommended dose schedule for a schedule and dose amount for a 5 day work week since the tank is at work. I have a 30 gallon tank.

Thank you in advance for your help.

sorry going to try EI method.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-07-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I likely would do the Micro on the Tue. and Thur. and the Macro on the other days. Then that may not balance as well as
rotating the same thing but reverse on every other week. I'd have trouble remembering which week it was without a
reminder of some kind. I will presume it to be a 30L cause that's a lot of plants for one of those 30T tanks.
Long as I brought that up though, I don't have many plants in my mental catalog to instantly picture many by name
but two on that list will get big enough that your tank could fit the dense category after a while. Not entirely sure
on the M/lace but the Balansae I do believe is enough for filling half that tank/w. And not a "rule" of course but the
lace one I think is usually used as a focus point type of thing suggesting that it be set out so to speak. So just(without
being able to picture most of the others) trying to imagine all of that going into a 30g...should be interesting.
Hardscape ? Since you investigated enough to skip the liquid and get dry ferts, you might just use the EI doses found
in the sticky at the top of this section under "yet another fert calculator". This too might work.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...ss-techy-folks
And since they don't list K2SO4, I'd cut the KNO3 in half(at least for the first month till you see how it's working) and use
the same amount of the K2SO4 along/w it. I have that one on my list and that's how I use it, as half of the KNO3.
Since I am just getting started in the EI thing(but a reduced amount version) I didn't include any Gh booster till a
little later down the line after I've checked the overall(everything that would indicate results)conditions to make sure
it called for adding some. And on that Barr report thing the 20-40 gallon category list.
As long as you've had little or no algae I see no reason to lower the light or photoperiod.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode