best method for Water Change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
best method for Water Change?

hey guys ,
I just wanna get some of your ideas of how you do your water changes?
at times it can be a lil frustrating and the consuming.

the way I currently do my weekly water change is:
ihave a dollar tree bucket that i use to for water changes. its fairly small for my 20 long and it takes me forever to do a 50% water change.

it also takes me twice as long to fill it back up cuz ihave to keep refilling it and dechlorinate it and wait. icould possibly get a bigger bucket. but also, is there a siphon that automatically sucks the water up? so that way water gets drained faster and get poured back into the tank faster as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
my tank is about 8 ft away from the kitchen sink.

siphon water to sink.
put a bucket in the sink and pump water from sink to tank.
i got a water pump that does 150 gph. it just so happens the siphon drains at the same rate the pump fills. so i drain at one end, i fill at the other end. i let it run for about 10 minutes and i'm done.
super easy.

i just add one capful of prime to tank and thats all.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MiSo; 01-07-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added sentences
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im new to this, ( for big water changes) but I bought a new garbage can and I will use a 120v water pump with a new potable water hose. That way I can leave the can outside while treating the water and keep my wife happy. I thought about adding a T and valves with quick connects to my filter once I change over to a canister filter, and let the filter pump it out.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Use this

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=848

My tank journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I normally do 50% water changes on both of my tanks at the same time, a 120g and 50g. I have a Aqueon water change kit that I use to add water from the tap and I have a second siphon hose that I use to drain the water. I drain into a 55g drum outside then use the water for the garden. (don't want that much water going into my septic tank. I turn off my filter, unplug my heaters, and start the siphon. Then I adj the tap temp and start the fill. I add Prime to the tank as the water is filling it. Takes about an hour to do both tanks and most of that time is spent waiting.

50G Low Tech Planted Tank- Community Fish
120G Low Tech Planted Tank- Community Fish
10G QT
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

I am a huge fan of the Python. Just don't get distracted while refilling... from personal experience :P
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how do i dechlorinate the water with the python if i get the water straight from the faucet? or does it pre filter it somehow?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
how do i dechlorinate the water with the python if i get the water straight from the faucet? or does it pre filter it somehow?
I just add the dechlorinator directly to the aquarium while it is being filled.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I just add the dechlorinator directly to the aquarium while it is being filled.
and it won't affect the fish?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Slap this on your tank. Siphon out where ever you want the water to go, eg, your lawn. Once drained to whatever level you want, take the drain end and attach to the shower 1/2" threaed end, you'll need a 99 cent adapter from a harewhare store, shower thread to Garden hose and then a pvc thread to garden hose.

You can use 1/2, 3.4" 1" garden hose for slow, faster drain and refill, adjust the refill water to the same temp with hand, your hand is good to about +/- 2 F degrees. when you start the refill, add Dechlorinator/Prime etc............turn off once filled.

I change 400 Gallon worth of tanks(4) in about 2-3 hours, but most of the time I'm cleaning the filters, trimming, boxing plants up etc. The hose does all the work really.

Cost: about 5-6$ less the garden hose.
Flexo Gen are excellent and soft kink free hoses for this.

From here, you can hard plumb a drain and hot/cold water system into a sump for the tank if you want semi or a fully automated water changers.

If you have a smaller tank, say 10 gal or less, dipping a bucket in the tank might be easier, faster. Otherwise, use the hose.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Slap this on your tank. Siphon out where ever you want the water to go, eg, your lawn. Once drained to whatever level you want, take the drain end and attach to the shower 1/2" threaed end, you'll need a 99 cent adapter from a harewhare store, shower thread to Garden hose and then a pvc thread to garden hose.

You can use 1/2, 3.4" 1" garden hose for slow, faster drain and refill, adjust the refill water to the same temp with hand, your hand is good to about +/- 2 F degrees. when you start the refill, add Dechlorinator/Prime etc............turn off once filled.

I change 400 Gallon worth of tanks(4) in about 2-3 hours, but most of the time I'm cleaning the filters, trimming, boxing plants up etc. The hose does all the work really.

Cost: about 5-6$ less the garden hose.
Flexo Gen are excellent and soft kink free hoses for this.

From here, you can hard plumb a drain and hot/cold water system into a sump for the tank if you want semi or a fully automated water changers.

If you have a smaller tank, say 10 gal or less, dipping a bucket in the tank might be easier, faster. Otherwise, use the hose.

nice lol so icould initially poir water from the tap into the tank and then use prime or some dechlor. after i put the water into the tank? and it won't affect the fish?
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
nice lol so icould initially poir water from the tap into the tank and then use prime or some dechlor. after i put the water into the tank? and it won't affect the fish?
Put the dechlor in as you fill it/pour in water.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Would you put enough prime for the size of the tank or only the amount that you put in? And this is while you are refilling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes, add enough to treat the entire tank before or as you refill.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
Yes, add enough to treat the entire tank before or as you refill.
okay, cuz idont wanna kill my fish from all the metals from the tap water lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode