Purigen placment question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen placment question.

So I picked up a 100gal purigen the other day and it comes in a nice bag.I have a 15g new planted dirt tank that has a tannis issue.the bag right now is just shuved behind my carbon filter, and I dont really like it.I have two ideas that im looking for some feed back on

1.I have a 10-15 Whisper filter im not using. The tube doesnt go all the way to the bottom of my tank so I replaced it with a bigger filter.could I just put the bag in the filter and run both filters?

2.Since two filters means twice the electricity this is my more favorable idea.Cut the bag open and only use a quarter of it in a panty hose like sock.this way it will fit on the bottom of the filter and not be in the way of the other filters.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Purigen is small. Very small. If you bought it in a bag, don't cut the bag open. You'll just have a mess.

Can you replace the carbon in your carbon filter with the purigen bag?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Second that. Purigen is so fine it will go right through nylons. At one time Seachem use to make a media bag with welded seams and a Velcro closure. It would hold Purigen. Only problem with those, they were huge something like 5x12.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Use the other filter for your carbon and purigen, then you'll have even more room for bio in the main filter. Added electricity usage and cost will be next to nothing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
Purigen is small. Very small. If you bought it in a bag, don't cut the bag open. You'll just have a mess.

Can you replace the carbon in your carbon filter with the purigen bag?

See that was kind of my third thought.so its ok to just replace the carbon filter with the purigen bag? If I do split the bag up,the sock I have is from work and its used to keep fine metal shaving out of a water pump no way this stuff will get threw it.

shambhalove- you would still use the carbon filter in the purigen filter? So I would then have two carbon filters going?

Thanks for the replies everyone.Im at about hour 16 and see no change in the water.i know its early but the newb in me has me worried the placement is not good enough.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMHO, I wouldn't run carbon and purigen at the same time. I probably wouldn't run carbon at all unless I had just dosed a medicine or something like that, but that's another issue.

Really really don't undestimate how small those beads of purigen are. The holes on the bag are so small, that if you just hold the bag say 6" under the faucet, most of the water goes around the bag. You have to hold the bag right up the faucet to see the purigen bits swirling around.

If there's no room in the first filter with or without carbon, then set up the second one. And purigen eats tannins for breakfast, so if you're not seeing your water clear up, it's probably because the water is mostly flowing around the bag of purigen instead of through it.

just my opinion
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
IMHO, I wouldn't run carbon and purigen at the same time. I probably wouldn't run carbon at all unless I had just dosed a medicine or something like that, but that's....
Awsome thanks! I will take the carbon out and put the purigen bag in the carbon holder I think that the bag will fit perfect.Now I dont have to buy filter media.Yay!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let us know how things work out, but purigen is KILLER on tannins, so hopefully you see some improvent.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No reason to not run carbon and purigen. Both will help with tannins, when your done you can leave out the carbon and keep the purigen or ditch both.

I still think nothing helps with tannins more than a big ol water change...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm all for water changes, but it sounds like she doesn't have enough space in her hob to run both carbon and purigen, and the purigen would be better and removing tannins.

She could always put the 2nd hob on and put the purigen in there. This should be a temporary measure.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had really cloudy water from planting in my dirt so I did three big water changes in a row so im holding off for a week.im worried the cap is still to thin and the tannis will just keep leaching even after a big wc. We will see.Tonight ill removing the carbon and tomorrow im doing a small wc.like jrh said im taking the carbon out because I cant fit the purigen and the carbon in my filter.

Oh and I guess its time to make a profile.since im no female.male all the way haha
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh man that was a stress full few hours.....
The good news is I took out the carbon media and put the purigen in its place.It fits pretty good.The holder is holding it up pretty much in the exact spot the carbon was in.The purigen was already kind of brownish color which i hope is normal.In the short three hours the lights where on I think I can see a difference already! Not getting my hopes up though...

SO.The bad news is that with in 5 minutes of being home i switched the bag of purigen and then proceeded to brake my light bulb!Luckily not over the tank.Called all the local big box pet stores around and no one had my bulb in stock. I am glad I live 40 minutes from "That fish store" in lancaster,PA.Which is a amazing pet-store/fish warehouse.I quickly drove there and bought a new bulb.When i got home and started to do my daily examination of my tank,I noticed there are a lot of brown leafs on my mint charlie and its kind of bent over.My micro swords are a weird yellow color and some have died and are laying on the bottom.AND I have some weird white dot fungus like stuff growing in my tank AND in my house plants soil in my apartment!I used the same soil(MGOPS)on my tank and house plants so it has to be the soil.Maybe the cap in not thick enough and its just dirt with a sprinkle of eco complete?Also my Nitrite level is at .25ppm for the second day in a row.GEEZ!

Im so glad i started this tank.The last seven days would have been just same old same boring days.This is quite the adventure.If i wanted it to be smooth sailing i would have stuck with plastic plants and marbles.Happy one week tank anniversary to me.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

Purigen is awesome. Once I started using Purigen, I had no need for carbon. For the fungus and other things appearing in your new tank, just be patient until cycling is over. Once it is cycled, you can add couple Nerite snails, and they will clean them up pretty good. Also, adding Excel on and off helped me mitigating algae issues. Good luck and have lots of fun! =)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Patience

Its easy for this stuff to get overwhelming, especially with a new tank. Slow down and enjoy the hobby!! Dont stress.

All of these "isssues" will be fixed with time...cycling, fungus, tannis...all very normal and sometimes the most trying times in this hobby are the first couple months of a new tank.

On a side note, if your houseplants are growing fungus its a good sign your watering too much and/or theres not enough drainage.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok todays a better day.I notice a big difference.About half as brown as yesterday.Also i have a bunch of new micro swords poping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Patience ...

...On a side note, if your houseplants are growing fungus its a good sign your watering too much and/or theres not enough drainage.
Ya I noticed I over watered about 4 hours after its weekly water.Now biweekly haha. I just find it weirdly entertaining ,to see this fungus in and out of water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode