Why RO and remineralization? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why RO and remineralization?

In my CRS tanks I have always just used 50% RO and 50% tap water ... Why do so many people use straight RO and spend extra money on chemicals to add minerals back in?

I can understand if you need a specific parameter but I general what is the justification/reasoning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
gh booster is cheap

R/O lets you know exactly whats in the water..this is my reason for using it, there is no guessing. Depending on the area, tap water can fluctuate quite a bit, it can also introduce some bacteria and heavy metals that effect shrimp health, For the cost of some shrimp species, a lot of people wont risk it.

|

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Algae Grower

This is something I'm curious about? In marines we always use ro water and a good salt mix that has all the trace elements ... I can see the reason though if your tap water is no3 40 p.p.m and loaded with phosphate and peeps wonder why that algae won't go off they're rocks substrait..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Justification? Don't need one. Reason? Well, my tap is of excellent quality but extremely hard so we use a softener for the house to protect pipes, appliances, etc. Softened water is not so good to use due to all the sodium so I run a Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI for my tank water. Softened water happens to be great for R/O lifespan as well.
Even if it weren't for the softener, I like the idea of starting from a known, very clean slate and creating the perfect water for what I'm keeping. It's very simple to do with a combination of GH Booster and Potassium bicarb. I'm also keen to start a reef and wouldn't bother without a great RO/DI.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

Last edited by Jack Gilvey; 01-04-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So i just found a used RO system for cheap and am going to pick it up later in the week. Its a 3 stage system.. (will save halling home a 5G bucket of water every few weeks!)

I'm not sure if i will keep doing 50/50 ro/tap or use straight ro and reminneralize.. this will be for my CRS/CBS / OEBT tanks.

What do you guys use to reminneralize the water? Is there any other things thats needed if i was to use 100% RO?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower

Erm I reminerslize .. 3 stage is good .. Buy you may want to add a di pod from osmotics .co .uk less than 10 sits on top and polishes your water to absolute zero ..

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

Why RO and remineralization?

Here's some pictures so you can find a us supplier..

Worth mentioning that you may or may not need these things so if, you run it for 15 mins and can't seem to get 0 tds it may be you need a new membrane .. It could be your water is too hard and you need a de ionisation pod and the flow restrictor will bulk up the psi going into your unit without having to get a booster pump..

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Algae Grower

Cause i live in Arizona and my water is on a regular basis called liquid rock with a tds of 400-600 at any point in time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Algae Grower

Poor thing, but not so bad.. Here we have 35 p.p.m no3 from the tap..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My tap has a TDS of about 75. So it shouldn't have to work to hard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode