LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I have a 55g tNk how often

How often should I dose fertilizers?
I use flourish comp and iron and I run co2 at around 4-6 bps

I have a t5 fixture with two aqueon 6500k bulbs

Plants consist of blyxa, various anubia, various ferns, red flame sword red Mellon sword. Green cobamba. Rotala mini butterfly, bacopa, sygno Manaus. And a couple uknown plants.

I've started seeing bba on plants that are slow growers and reach the top of the tank closer to the light about midway to top of the tank, and the tank is half fully planted. Thank you guys

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Can anyone help me figure out a dosing regimen or anything else I should be dosing etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Can anyone help me figure out a dosing regimen or anything else I should be dosing etc
Why not use the EI method? With CO2 injection and decent lighting you most likely need the macro nutrients NPK rather than just trace and iron.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not dosing trace though, I have flourish comprehensive and iron. I never got around to buying trace and macro.

I would dose ei but I'm not into doing water changes that often.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourish comprehensive is a trace mix. It only has a small amount of macro nutrients. With CO2 injection those macros are used up quickly. If you don't mind testing your water I would add KNO3 and KH2PO4. Enough KNO3 to maintain a nitrate around 10ppm and enough KH2PO4 to maintain phosphate around 1ppm. The potassium in both of those would be sufficient for the K+ needed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't have tests for those though. What would be the best fertilizer I can get and dose in then. I would like to be able to dose out of one bottle but I can buy seperate bottles if needed. Brand names. And common names of nutrients I'm not a chemist hahaha. And then how often should I dose said fertilizers?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I personally would purchase at the very least PO4 and NO3 test kits. Without doing water changes dosing can become toxic. You may find you don't need to dose macros at all. Even if you did water changes knowing what your tap contains is important. Nutrient levels do have a large range before toxicity occurs. However, adding excess nutrients without water changes will eventually cause problems.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I dose weekly, and my water evaporates faster than before. I never use tap water for any of my tanks, I always use ro water with kent or right for my fish tank and ss mineral plus for my shrimp tank.

So aside from the tests. What's the best liquid broad range fert on the market.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I personally would purchase at the very least PO4 and NO3 test kits. Without doing water changes dosing can become toxic. You may find you don't need to dose macros at all. Even if you did water changes knowing what your tap contains is important. Nutrient levels do have a large range before toxicity occurs. However, adding excess nutrients without water changes will eventually cause problems.
+1. This.

At least your tank is light-limited. That makes it sound like your bba growth is either due to fluctuating CO2 levels or slow-growing plants (in turn due to nutrient deficiency). I suspect the former.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Co2 never fluctuates. I have it sent with a solenoid at a constant.

The bba is only on the edges of my anubias and tips of onion plants

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Co2 never fluctuates.
I read this and thought I should wait to see what develops lol. Suffice it to say, CO2 levels DO fluctuate. There are many other factors involved rather than delivery method. We may have a million dollar CO2 setup. But plants grow changing water column flow, water levels change, plants use more CO2, fish die, light bulbs degrade and probably 20 other reasons which need not be named. The fact is CO2 is one of the most difficult to get right. When one can master CO2 they've mastered the planted tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As far as water flow and surface agitation etc I realize it may fluctuate by that but what I meant was the delivery method never changes or fluctuates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode