Planted Tank Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington State, on the dry side
Huh... Here's a new one to me.
I've been having some minor issues with necrosis on older leaves for some time now. The worst affected was the Red Sword (E. Barthii?). The leaves were constantly warped and crumpled up. The rest of the plants were growing pretty well.
Just so you have some background, I learned how to walk in a hydroponic greenhouse and have managed commercial research greenhouses for many years. So you might say I have a solid understanding of plant nutrition.
I've been tinkering with my fertilizer components to try to correct the issue for most of the past year. Since this is a low tech tank modifying things slowly is really the only course of action. My first thought was iron, no response. I have very soft water so I upped my Ca, no response. I tinkered with the NPK ratio's and got a nice algae outbreak. I've been adding in CSM +B so I thought that was okay on those.
This last month I ordered a new batch of dry ferts and saw MnSO4. I thought what the heck I'll try increasing this one a smidgen. So I ordered it in and combined it into my normal regimen.
Holy smokes the tank has taken off. The red sword has just shot straight and vibrantly colored leaves to the top of the 125g. The crypts decided it would be a good time to send out runners and spread. And the val's are back to trying to overrun the tank. Even the anubis decided it could grow faster now.
The only deficient looking thing in the tank really was the red sword. Apparently this was a limiting element in an otherwise well balanced system.