What tests are necessary for a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe I should have asked this question a long time ago (like when I STARTED my planted tank), but, what test kits are considered necessities when running a planted tank? I do NOT use co2. I have 60 watts of regular fluorescent light over a 30g tank. I've got (and use) pH, ammo, no2, and no3 tests (and a phosphate test from Hagen that I don't like). Do I need to test kh, gh, iron, potassium, and phosphate, and, who makes these? Wouldn't it be nice if some company offered a "planted tank test kit" package as a no-brainer?

-Christina-
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Nitrate
Phosphate
pH

A simple answer for you!!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my planted tanks I test for: PH, KH, Nitrates, Iron, Phosphates and C02. The Phos & Iron are by Seachem, PH KH Nitrates are by Tetra and C02 by Red Sea. I would not waste money on a Potassium test because they are expensive & inaccurate IMO.

He who angers you, controls you!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mike hit it right on the button.... your tank is relatively lowlight and you do not need to mess with CO2 so the GH/KH kits are a waste of money however it wouldnt hurt to have it tested at your LFS one time for free for peace of mind and curiosity.
Its the high light , nutrient sucking , CO2 gobbling tanks that really need to be tested often and accurately to keep the balance in check.
Did I mention that they are quite time and money consuming ? :lol:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys! So it looks like I should just keep it simple. I think I have the tests that I need then- nitrate, pH, and phosphate. I hate the phosphate test I have (third bottle of chemicals is really hard to use), and in the two times I've used it, have gotten a 0 reading, which I'm distrustful of (I have lots of algae). Maybe I'll try to find a better phos. test.
In the meantime, please let me know: I'm planning on moving up to a 100g tank. I don't think I'll have 2 watts per gallon, though, at least not for a while. More like 1. Will I need to test for anything extra at that point? Also, Do you all think the plants I have now with 2 watts per gallon will suffer and possibly die with only about 1 watt per gallon? I have anacharis, tiger lotuses, val, java moss, hornwort, cabomba, egeria naja, and some type of sword-like plant with rigid stems and arrow-shaped leaves (a type of philodendron?)

-Christina-
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

Try these two links:
http://members.dsl-only.net/~rex/#top
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm

55g Freshwater Planted - Aqualight 4x65w - Ehiem Classic Canister 2217 - DIY CO2 - 100% Flourite
Fauna: 4 Clown Loaches - YoYo Loach - Crenicichla Compressiceps - Firemouth Cichlid - 8 Rummynose Tetras - 6 Cardinal Tetras - Apistogramma Cacatoides - Red-tailed Shark - African Dwarf Frog
Cleaning crew: 5 Ottocinclus - Sturisoma Barbatum
Flora: Heavy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Actually my new link is www.rexgrigg.com I will not be maintaining the old site any longer and will soon just link it to the new page.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode