co2 levels confuse - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
co2 levels confuse

So I think i have a pretty high tech system.

I have pressurized co2 with regulator, bubble counter, diffuser, drop checker.

I have an apex system with ph probe that monitors my ph level.

I went from this morning at 9 am of 6.25 ph level. Now I'm at 5.88 ph level.
The drop checker is still blue. There's nothing going on with my fish so I think I'm undosing.

Bubble counter is probably 5 bps. Its coming out from a co2 ceramic diffuser and powerhead pushes it into return pump which travels about 5 ft to spraybar.
I don't see any co2 bubble escaping at all. 99% of it gets dissolve before it makes it to return pump.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
How are you measuring the pH? Are you making sure there's no stray current? Turn off the electrical devices and then measure the pH, if there's a difference, then there's an issue.

Even if you have a KH of 1 degree, it's going to be about that pH ranges you mention.

Drop checkers stink frankly, stick with the pH/KH/CO2 table, use that to adjust the CO2 relatively.

SLOW Progressive adjustments......... and watch and observe the fish, algae, plants.
Once you get to where things look great, stop, that's your target.
Do this slow and watch after you adjust.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
How are you measuring the pH? Are you making sure there's no stray current? Turn off the electrical devices and then measure the pH, if there's a difference, then there's an issue.

Even if you have a KH of 1 degree, it's going to be about that pH ranges you mention.

Drop checkers stink frankly, stick with the pH/KH/CO2 table, use that to adjust the CO2 relatively.

SLOW Progressive adjustments......... and watch and observe the fish, algae, plants.
Most recommend drop checker against ph/KH/co2 table. What's wrong with drop checker?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

hey tom,

i did measure ph with testing kit and it shows ph of 6.0, could be less because the yellow color on the tube is lighter than the 6.0 on the test kit.
the ph on the ph probe still shows 5.8. Does that sound about right? stray currents affect ph levels?

What about co2 dissolve? The co2 is being diffuse into sump. I see all of it diffuse properly and suck into return pump. The water level is at half of the sump, if co2 is already dissolve, would it disappear if it hit water surface?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since you mention the sump, do you have a tickle filter which can degas co2 fast?

Also, i read somwhere before, if your spraybar is under water vs above water surface, it will make a huge difference in degas rate too

Joe [
]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinBear View Post
Since you mention the sump, do you have a tickle filter which can degas co2 fast?

Also, i read somwhere before, if your spraybar is under water vs above water surface, it will make a huge difference in degas rate too
spraybar is under water....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode