ph too low - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ph too low

so running co2 during lights on on my 20 long and 75g both heavily planted.ph out of the tap is 6.5 and kh out of the tap is 2.for some reason my kh in both tanks is 1 or less(api test goes yellow on first drop).Ph after a few hours of co2 is hitting 5.3 on the 20 and 5.6 on the 75.do I need to be adding baking soda or crushed coral or am I fine just leave it alone?fish are all south american:angels,rams,tetras etc. and seem to be fine but I am getting some algae and want to bump up the co2 a bit.getting light green on the drop checker in the 20 but barely green in the 75 so far...just started tuning the co2 on that tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have wanted to run my c02 higher put my ph drops to fast with soft water , I'm curious if a low ph affects the positive bacteria we all need in our cycle ?

Your lucky to have low kh that is easily adjusted.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

any help?dont know whether to try adding some baking soda or just leave it alone.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Algae Grower

Baking soda isnt the greatest solution, i have crushed coral in both my filters in my 20g long because my substrate encourages a ph below 7. With the crushed coral, it raised my ph back up to about 7.5 over time by itself without having to constantly add more. Plus it adds to the bio media as more surface area for the nitrifying bacteria. Not sure if this helps you or not. I say over time because its not instant like baking soda and theres not as much playing around. in the end, no shock to the live stock as it basically acclimated itself internally over the course of a few days.

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Don't worry about your pH, it's fine. Keep a good ripple going on the surface to keep your o2 up, and bump up your co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Don't worry about your pH, it's fine. Keep a good ripple going on the surface to keep your o2 up, and bump up your co2.
+1

Unless you're using distilled water or very good R/O you have enough KH to buffer the CO2. Best way to dial in CO2 is to put up your test kits and watch your fish and plants. As Xmas said, increasing the O2 levels through surface agitation allows for higher CO2 levels as well. Watch your fish.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am actually using rodi for water changes and topoff now.I started both tanks with about 50/50 tap and rodi and was using tap for water changes and topoff until I tested the tap and found the ammonia out of there is at 1.0 ppm.I just switched back to rodi.should I start adding some baking soda to each bucket for changes and topoff or try using crushed coral?if crushed coral how much should I be adding?I have hobs on both tanks I can run a stocking with crushed coral in depending on how much is needed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you intend on using RO then you should be remineralizing the water with GH booster. Adding enough GH booster to raise GH to 3-5dGH. I wouldn't be too concerned about KH. There are other buffers at play. If you don't want wild PH swings adding enough baking soda to raise KH to 1 is more than enough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode