Question Re: Hach Phosphate and Nitrate test kits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey everyone so I purchased a Hach Phosphate and Nitrate test kit. I tried testing my phosphate levels but strangely I get a reading of 0mg/l. Ive been dosing about .75ppm of phosphates from Seachems Phosphorus fertilizer three times a week. My lighting levels are 80watts over a 20 long. Could it possibly be that the plants are using up all the phosphates or could the reading be due to Seachem's phosphorus not coming from PO4- but from P2O5? I will be getting some dry ferts soon so I hope to try testing with those but Im confused as to why Im getting a reading of 0 as of now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Take a bucket of water and dose it to a known level. Then test the test kit with that water.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Should I try dosing it with the Seachem ferts? I was thinking that maybe the test didnt show because Seachem Phosphorus is P2O5 and not PO4-. Also, the Seachem Nitrogen is not stored completely as Nitrate so I dont know how well these Seachem ferts would test. Ill give it a shot anyways and let you all know what happens.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Take a bucket of water and dose it to a known level. Then test the test kit with that water.
That's an excellent recommendation. All I would add to that is to suggest testing your water first to get a baseline level. You may have some unwanted goodies in there :shock:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode