Watering Down Fertilizers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Watering Down Fertilizers

I want to set up an automatic fertilizer dosing system but it would require me to water down the fertilizers. Would this affect their usefulness in any way? I'd be using Seachem Excel and Flourish. They would be sitting in their watered down form for awhile as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Are you watering down flourish and excel? It shouldn't hurt anything but why would you do that?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Does anyone know if Excel loses it's potency due to light exposure, mixing with water, or some other condition? I know I have heard repeatedly that it only lasts a day or so in the aquarium, so something causes its loss of potency.

Hoppy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would be watering them down and they would have to be diluted so it was on a constant drip. If it was pure fertilizer I would be overdosing to the max. Would the excel lose it potency, or would the plants just use it all?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Diluting Seachem products with water should have no effect.

In regards to Excel degradation. The two main components influencing glutaraldehyde degradation rate are PH and temperature. The higher the PH or temperature the faster the reaction occurs. Glutaraldehyde reacts to amino acids in proteins, primarily lysine. The result is glutaric acid and CO2. I have heard light degrades glutaraldehyde. The manufacturers suggest storing in a light proof container so there is some truth to this. The only concrete information I have found is that glutaraldehyde degrades under exposure to low wave lengths of light such as UV. I've yet to read any studies suggesting higher wave lengths degrading it although this certainly does not mean it won't. Simply keep it in a container that blocks light. Here are a few links about glutaraldehyde in case you can't sleep and want to torture yourself by reading this chewy information lol

An article about Glutaraldehyde from union carbide (DOW), (this one is easier to read)
Aerobic and Anaerobic Metabolism of Glutaraldehyde in a River Water-Sediment System
glutaraldehyde properties
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Zorfox, I'll try and read those articles. Would I have any problems keeping both the excel and flousih mixture in the same container?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
I want to set up an automatic fertilizer dosing system but it would require me to water down the fertilizers. Would this affect their usefulness in any way? I'd be using Seachem Excel and Flourish. They would be sitting in their watered down form for awhile as well.
I am curious, why would you need to water them down to use them with a doser? They are already in a liquid form. Just set the doser to dose the amount you would if you were doing it manually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I be making my own doser as I am a poor freeloader with too much time and not enough money. I haven't been able to find anything cheap enough that would only dispense a tiny amount of liquid.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Thanks Zorfox, I'll try and read those articles. Would I have any problems keeping both the excel and flousih mixture in the same container?
Short answer, I'm not sure. Many people use a small amount of excel as a preservative in their trace mix without problems. However, mixing such a large ratio seems prone to problems. Seachem does not recommend mixing excel or it's iron with any other product.

"Excel and Iron both have the ability to precipitate other products. Therefore, both of these should be dosed individually, and are not to be combined with other products."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I be making my own doser as I am a poor freeloader with too much time and not enough money. I haven't been able to find anything cheap enough that would only dispense a tiny amount of liquid.
That is understandable but, I am still having a hard time understanding why you are needing to water down a product that is already heavily watered down and in liquid form ready to dose wether it be a purchased pre-made doser or a DIY version.

A doser is nothing more than a peristaltic pump used to transfer liquids. At the same cost you could make one you could purchase a 1.1 mL pump and a cheap timer to run at the time of day for a set length of time to the amount you need for $20-25.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
That is understandable but, I am still having a hard time understanding why you are needing to water down a product that is already heavily watered down and in liquid form ready to dose wether it be a purchased pre-made doser or a DIY version.

A doser is nothing more than a peristaltic pump used to transfer liquids. At the same cost you could make one you could purchase a 1.1 mL pump and a cheap timer to run at the time of day for a set length of time to the amount you need for $20-25.
im guessing he is going to be making something that uses gravity as the driving force. What Im picturing is something similar to how most people drip acclimate fish, but in this case itd be fertilized water dripping into the tank

thats just my assumption, seems like the easiest way to do it
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Algae Grower

i have too heard about the automatic fertilizer dosing system but due to not aware with the proper facts to go good with it, i have not taken any steps further yet

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I'll be trying to use a drip acclimation set I have to dose the tank. I'm just waiting for the set to come in. It only count about $3, so if it works then it will be much more cost efficient.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
If you really want to save money, buy dry ferts and mix them with water. You will accomplish your goal of diluting the ferts to the desired levels and it will be WAYYY cheaper. For the same price as a bottle of seachem, you could buy dry ferts that would last you for about a year or two.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, I'll be trying to use a drip acclimation set I have to dose the tank. I'm just waiting for the set to come in. It only count about $3, so if it works then it will be much more cost efficient.

Well then that makes more sense as I am sure you're trying to extend the amount of liquid you have so it last longer vs just dripping straight for the bottle. One thing to keep in mind though is Seachem products are already really watered down. So you may lose potency of these products by adding more water to it preventing you from get the results you're looking for as you will probably have to dose more to make up for the watered down solution. In theory it doesn't seem like you would be saving anything.

If you're going to go this route I would highly urge you looking at doing dry ferts. It will save you a lot more money in the long run vs buying commercial ferts and you will have a better concentration.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode