would this work in a planted tank?
bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
it works fine on me but not sure about the plants.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Isn't alcohol poisonous to fish? This sounds interesting..

-Eric

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
As if it's not poisonous to us? Hehe...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
it works fine on me but not sure about the plants.
I was kinda thinking the same thing! LOL!

Yes, vodka is sufficient to break down nitrate and phosphate. Damn, secrets out now on the nano project. I am not sure how plants would take to it though. Seeing that there is other proven means that are safer to lower these levels in a planted tank I don't think the risk is worth the reward as it serves no real benefit in a freshwater tank as it also isn't as much as a problem like it is for reefs. Makes for some damn clear water. The fish would be fine though as it is such low amounts. The problem is it could take several months to even a year to even see any effects from it until you find that perfect dose. Reefers mainly use it so they don't have to refill a Phosban Reactor with GFO which isn't a main concern with freshwater tanks as it is with reefs. You start at 1-2 mL a week and slowly add 0.5 mL each week until your nitrates drop to 0. You would still have to use a Phosphate Control and it could get pretty costly over time. Seeing we don't do or have any of this for freshwater then I would just keep the vodka and drink it instead.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
But in that case, the carbon source is used to feed bacteria that break down nitrates in the water column. And if care isn't taken, bacterial blooms get out of control.

To be sure alcohol will pickle your fish (but may provide "incentive for the hobby?), but the dosage levels are miniscule relative to tank volume in the reefkeeping applications.

If you think that's bad, you never saw the thread that tossed out the idea of urinating in a reef tank to lick start a cycle.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used it in saltwater tank before to avoid algae by breaking down nitrate and phosphate. I don't know how it would be useful in planted tank since we purposely dose those nutrients.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This is kind of an annual question, and the answer never changes. Vodka goes in the stomach. Excel goes in the aquarium. Neither is mandatory, nor necessarily desirable.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode