Some questions about dry fertilizers. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some questions about dry fertilizers.

I have a few questions about dry fertilizers and hope someone can help me out here.

I dose flourish & excel once to twice a week, irons and potassium may be once every 2-3 weeks. I'd like to switch to dry fertilizers. I'm not sure if I'm ready for EI dosing as I don't use co2.

My current need is to get some dry fertilizers to replace flourish, iron and potassium as I'm out of those 3. What dry fertilizers should I get to replace flourish, iron and potassium? What's equivalent to what? I'm so clueless when it comes to plant fertilizer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

You can do some reading and learning on there and purchase there if you'd like. Check out some threads on the sales forums for dry fert sales too, prices are comparable(or cheaper!) and its nice to help a fellow hobbyist.

You can still use EI dosing on a non co2 tank, you just need to adjust based on your plant mass, lighting, etc.

Personally I prefer to mix the ferts into liquid form and dose with a syringe. You will need a gram scale for that though(they can be cheap).

Basically it depends on what your routine is. I use the pps-pro method(mixed dry ferts into liquid form) and dose every morning before the lights come on(its a high tech tank w/ co2). On my low tech tanks I just dose once a week after the water change(using the same mixed ferts).

Don't worry once you get it down its not as complicated as it seems!

"Primary Fertilizers

The primary macro elements consists of Nitrate (found in KNO3), Phosphate (found in KH2PO4), and Potassium (found in both of these compounds as K). The other primary class of elements is lumped in what is known as micro elements which is a mixture of different minerals i.e. iron, magnesium, boron, etc."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by theericafish; 12-18-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

You can do some reading and learning on there and purchase there if you'd like. Check out some threads on the sales forums for dry fert sales too, prices are comparable(or cheaper!) and its nice to help a fellow hobbyist.

You can still use EI dosing on a non co2 tank, you just need to adjust based on your plant mass, lighting, etc.

Personally I prefer to mix the ferts into liquid form and dose with a syringe. You will need a gram scale for that though(they can be cheap).

Basically it depends on what your routine is. I use the pps-pro method(mixed dry ferts into liquid form) and dose every morning before the lights come on(its a high tech tank w/ co2). On my low tech tanks I just dose once a week after the water change(using the same mixed ferts).

Don't worry once you get it down its not as complicated as it seems!

"Primary Fertilizers

The primary macro elements consists of Nitrate (found in KNO3), Phosphate (found in KH2PO4), and Potassium (found in both of these compounds as K). The other primary class of elements is lumped in what is known as micro elements which is a mixture of different minerals i.e. iron, magnesium, boron, etc."
Thanks but is there a quick formula that I can use to mix X+Y+Z to get a bottle of 500ml flourish, potassium and iron? Is there such thing?
I don't really want to dose fertilizer every day, just want to mix a bottle of flourish, iron and potassium. Is it possible? Thanks.

I'm out of flourish, potassium and iron and would like to make my own using dry ferts, are there formula for making these 3 individually? or must I choose between EI dosing or pps-pro? HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-19-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quick note: Don't eschew EI just because you don't use CO2. I use only Excel and have been very successful with EI. You just have to reduce the amount of ferts to match the lower consumption of the tank.
I personally mix my CSM+B, Equilibrium and Iron with my Excel and dose with a squeeze dosage bottle every morning (Remember, Excel should be dosed before the photo period and not after)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Potassium you are getting from macros and iron you are getting from micros.

To make liquid ferts

To figure out exact dosages if you want to replicate excel products you are going to have to figure out exactly what they use and how much is contained in each ml. Seems a bit much just to replicate the same product when the dry ferts will give you pretty much the same results I assume.

You don't "have" to chose any method. The ferts come in packages separately and if you wanted you could dose whatever you want(could be consequences) but each method provides a proven/tested guideline to follow.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHerr View Post
Quick note: Don't eschew EI just because you don't use CO2. I use only Excel and have been very successful with EI. You just have to reduce the amount of ferts to match the lower consumption of the tank.
Do you have high light fixture? I only have low light fixture so I don't need to do ferts every day. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHerr View Post
(Remember, Excel should be dosed before the photo period and not after)
Do you mean to dose excel half hour before you turn on the light or do you mean to keep the light on when you dose excel? I normally have the light on then dose excel and keep the light on for at least 2-3 hours, usually much longer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode