Huge swing in KH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Huge swing in KH

Hello everyone,

3 weeks ago, I tore down my 115 gallon saltwater reef tank, in order to pursue a planted freshwater tank. I had a successful reef tank for 5 years, but to be honest, it started to become a little boring to me so I thought I'd try my hand at freshwater.

I'm encountered a problem though...........

When I initially started testing my water, I noticed very high KH readings. Upwards of 140-200ppm KH.

But then I checked it several days later and I'm down to 20ppm

What gives? I wouldn't think that the KH would change in time, like ammonia, or chlorine, or nitrates/nitrites, things like that.

I'm running Co2 during the day too.

I tested my tap water and sure enough, the KH is very high, back up to the 140-200ppm range, but I check the aquarium water and its fine. The aquarium water has been in there for a couple of weeks.

I can't figure it out.

My general hardness is very high too, arond 180ppm if it matters.

Any thoughts? Can KH just "dissolve" in time????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal-emission View Post
Any thoughts? Can KH just "dissolve" in time????
I had this happen in my 125 when I first set it up. I had too much CO2 pumping
in, and my KH went from 8 down to 4.

Read it here:https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-drop-new.html

But it doesn't have to be just CO2 it can be any acid, such as tannins leeching from driftwood, or too much peat.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
What kind of substrate is in the tank? Some substrates can lower your kh, such as soilmaster and aquasoil.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. I use Soilmaster Select. And I do not run peat. I do however have a large piece of driftwood in the tank. I don't know if it matters, but I soaked the driftwood in a bucket outside for about a week prior to putting it in the tank.

Also, as far as the co2 goes, I probably was pretty generous with it for about a week when I first got it. I've leveled off to about 2-3 bubbles per second since then.

I hope some of the above info helps your guesses.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

WOW Tazcrash, I just read that link. THis is EXACTLY what happened to me. I was running too much Co2 from the get go.

I'm going to go home tonight and turn up the Co2 to where I had been running it when I started. If the KH goes up, then I"ll know I've got the problem licked.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal-emission View Post
I'm going to go home tonight and turn up the Co2 to where I had been running it when I started. If the KH goes up, then I"ll know I've got the problem licked.
Hold on.
If you turn the CO2 up, the KH will go down.... Again.

The best way to get your KH back is water changes. I did several small changes each day for a week so I didn't shock the fish.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode