Brand new to co2 REALLY need some pointers! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brand new to co2 REALLY need some pointers!

So I just set up my co2 setup on friday & Could really use some help!

The guy I bought it from is supposed to be great & Very knowlegable but I am so confused after all the info I got I am starting to think this was a big mistake......

My Specs:
90 gallon
ammonia - 0
Nitrates -0
Nitrite - 0.25
PH - 6.2
set up for 8 months home to about 15 fish (Kribensis,Neons,1 bala) I know not the best fish mix but thats a whole other story.......
It is planted mostly new plants - I would say about 65-70% planted as far as ground cover goes.

So I set up the co2 at 0.5 Bubbles per second (for the 1st week as recomended) I got the "Live PH" counter as recomended as well....PH has dropped to 6.2 usually its about 6.6'ish

I added the seaquem neutral regulator as told to raise my PH friday - not only has it not done anything but now my water is cloudy!

So my questions are:

1. How do I add co2 without continuing to lower my PH? I cant possibly add any less then what I am now.

2.I am putting the co2 on 1 hr before lights and 1 hr after lights off os this right?

3. I am battling hair algae how can I still treat this with flourish excel while using co2?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol View Post
I added the seaquem neutral regulator as told to raise my PH friday - not only has it not done anything but now my water is cloudy!

So my questions are:

1. How do I add co2 without continuing to lower my PH? I cant possibly add any less then what I am now.

2.I am putting the co2 on 1 hr before lights and 1 hr after lights off os this right?

3. I am battling hair algae how can I still treat this with flourish excel while using co2?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
When I first started I made the mistake of also trying to ad ph regulator to keep the ph up. Stop doing this and your fish will love you for it. If your ph is normally 6.6 is would be ok to let it drop to 5.6 without any harm to the fish. I was told to aim for a 1.0 drop in ph. Also I only run my co2 while lights are on and I run an air pump only at night. But this is just me personal preference. I have had much happier fish since I stopped this and my angels are spawning every 3-4 weeks

I would probably start trying to fix it by doing at least a 50% water change.

What is your lighting and how long a photo period?
Are you dosing macro and micro nutrients or anything?
Do you do frequent water changes (at least once a week)?
Do you have a ph controller hooked up to your co2?
What type of filtration are you using?

Brian

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Sounds like you're not dosing any ferts to your tank. Plants can't live on CO2 alone. All the questions Brian asks above are important to offer better advice. It is also surprising that an 8 month old tank has NO2 readings.

Check out these for some good info on what is needed for healthy plant growth.
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articl...ges/index.html
http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys! There problably is no2 readings from the stuff I added the other night - I have never had them before even when I set up the tank (It only seemed to do a mini cycle)

is your lighting and how long a photo period? Coralife C.F 4x65w 7 hrs/p/day
Are you dosing macro and micro nutrients or anything? no - have been told not to as the plants won't use anything for another few months
Do you do frequent water changes (at least once a week)? yes - 30%
Do you have a ph controller hooked up to your co2?-no just looked into it
What type of filtration are you using? Rena XP3 (And currently an XP2 as well until I sell it)

This is so weird as I was told to add co2 as much as I can WITHOUT dropping the PH - And this is from a local "Plant Expert" I got so much different advice from everyone I decided to stick to on person

Thanks again guys - I really appreciate all the help!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
You already have Your C02 setup, but this may help You:

C02 Equipment

Take some time and read through these threads:

Low or no KH and low PH without a "crash"??

Low KH and pH crash

pH = 5.5, what now?

Forget what You think You know about Kh, Gh, and pH. Its a New World--with or without Plants.

Throw away the pH regulator....

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help & all the links - I think I am slowly getting the hang of things, but it's all still pretty confusing to me!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well I thought I was anyways - so now another problem.......

I just got the Co2 test kit and it says that my ppm = 8- (40 drops x2)
so I guess I need to lower my co2 - I'm currently doing about 1.5 bubbles per second.

and when I tried to do the KH test kit it said after the first drop it was supposed to turn Blue - well it didnt it stayed clear - so I kept dropping and it was yellow after 5 drops so can this be accurate even though the first drop never turned blue? It was a Hagen KH kit.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Save youself alot of headache and guesswork... get a Drop Checker All you have to do is periodically check by looking to see if you are at the right color 'green'. Cheap and it works!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
is your lighting and how long a photo period? Coralife C.F 4x65w 7 hrs/p/day
This sounds like alot of light. I use the same fixture and run 130 watts for 10 hours and only run the full 260 watts for 3 hours (mid day burst).

Quote:
Are you dosing macro and micro nutrients or anything? no - have been told not to as the plants won't use anything for another few months
I have never heard this before. I would order dry nutrients and start a dosing schedule. You can get them from here: http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

Quote:
Do you do frequent water changes (at least once a week)? yes - 30%
I would start doing once a week 50% water changes.

Quote:
Do you have a ph controller hooked up to your co2?-no just looked into it
You don't have to have one but it is good for making sure the co2 does not drop the ph too far. Also makes it easier to aim for that 1 point drop in ph.

Quote:
What type of filtration are you using? Rena XP3 (And currently an XP2 as well until I sell it)
The xp2 is not needed but would be nice to have for added circulation and if you would like to plumb more things inline. That way you don't put all the stress on the xp3. Thats why I run 2-xp3's on my 55g.

Hope this helps.
Good luck---Brian

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Brian!

It does help alot!! The lighting only works out to 2.88 WPG so I thought that was ok? I was told to aim between 2-3WPG.....

Im looking into those fertilizers now!

Thanks again!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the help Brian!

It does help alot!! The lighting only works out to 2.88 WPG so I thought that was ok? I was told to aim between 2-3WPG.....

Im looking into those fertilizers now!

Thanks again!
I'm sorry. 2.88 wpg isn't bad at all. I should have asked you what size tank you are working with?

Brian

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Oh whoops!! I thought I had mentioned it It's a 90 Gallon tank!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In that case you may want to consider running the lights longer. Like 9 or 10 hours (all 260watts). But research what other people with 90 gallon tanks are doing with lighting. You may have to experiment a little bit to figure out what works for you. But remember, longer the photo period the higher the demand for co2 and nutrients. So don't get carried away with the light. Also I would consider keeping that xp2 if I were you.

Brian

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode