Toxicity of CSM+B - Page 14 - The Planted Tank Forum
 151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerthesnowman View Post
What are you using as a reactor for your Purigen ???

As for the cause of my high nitrates , I think large bioload , build up of organics , and maybe overfeeding , with not enough water changes ( only 30% once a week ) and I was still dosing with fert that contain nitrates ( no dead fish ) , So I have stopped dosing any fert. the contain nitrates , increased my water changes and running the Purigen .

Thanks
I did this exact same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYLd3Bldkw
But after using it about a month, I'm going to switch to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY0ayPtii8

The lifegaurd reactor is tough to get the media out of and no way to get a screen in it to stop the purigen from coming out.
So I occasionally get a small purigen dump into my sump which of course gets into the tank.
You only need a small powerhead to run these, so I have a powerhead plumbed with vinyl to a small valve that I can open and close to control flow rates.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
I did this exact same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYLd3Bldkw
But after using it about a month, I'm going to switch to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY0ayPtii8

The lifegaurd reactor is tough to get the media out of and no way to get a screen in it to stop the purigen from coming out.
So I occasionally get a small purigen dump into my sump which of course gets into the tank.
You only need a small powerhead to run these, so I have a powerhead plumbed with vinyl to a small valve that I can open and close to control flow rates.

I have two of those in the first link , but was looking at these Purigen Reactor - Seachem Support Forums
Simplicity Chemical Reactor - Magnavore

Trying to see if someone sells these in Canada
post #198 of 203 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

wow thats very helpful! no sar casim

Bump: wow thats very helpful! no sar casim

Bump: wow thats very helpful! no sarcasim

post #199 of 203 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishey View Post
wow thats very helpful! no sar casim

Bump: wow thats very helpful! no sar casim

Bump: wow thats very helpful! no sarcasim
Just so you know you are responding to a post from 2016???
MD500_Pilot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #200 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

I remember reading this thread one time. I then went on a reading binge of everything related and to this day I'm still scared to death of CSM+B !! Only dose in MICRO amounts that probably isn't doing anything good or bad, but I feel better saying I dose CSM+B once a week !! LOL

Jim
post #201 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I remember reading this thread one time. I then went on a reading binge of everything related and to this day I'm still scared to death of CSM+B !! Only dose in MICRO amounts that probably isn't doing anything good or bad, but I feel better saying I dose CSM+B once a week !! LOL
Based on everything I have seen I don't believe CSM+B is toxic. However people have found a few problems with it:

1 It uses FeEDTA, this salt is stable at a PH below 6.5 Above that it separates and the Fe may no longer be available to plants. So if your tank PH is always above 6.5 you need to dose more than needed, possibly several times a week to get good results.

2. The levels of Zn relative to iron is very low. As a result a zinc deficiency can occur. Some places have tap water with iZinc in it. Others may have none or way too much.

3. The level of Cu is also very low relative to iron. As a result a copper deficiency can occur. Most homes have copper pipes and very slow corrosion of copper pipes will put some in your tap water. As a result some homes can have very high levels of copper in the tap water or very little. Newer homes with plastic water pipes. Water fromm plastic pipes may have zero copper it in resulting in a copper deficiency.

4. It doesn't have nickel in it. But this is the least used plant nutrient. So tap water typically has enough.

Based on the above you can compensate by dosing more often which may cause B, Mn, and Mo to be too high in the aquarium. All these issues can cause poor plant growth in some tanks while others are doing well. All due to tap water differences.

As a result of some people having issues with CSM+B some people are now making there own micros (including myself) Some of the key differences are:

1 Most are using FeDTPA which is more resistant to the effects of PH and it should be good up to a PH of 7.5. Maybe up to 8. The useful PH range of FeDTPA is a much better match for tanks with CO2 injection.

2. Mn, Zn, Cu, Ni sulfate salts are using instead of EDTA salts. For B boric acid is used and for Mo Sodium molybdate is used. When making a dosing bottle all the ingredients are dissolved in water with a PH of less than 6. Vinegar or citric acid can be used to make the solution water acidic.

3. a higher Zn and sometimes Cu level is used to creat a better balance of nutrients. My first basic micro recipe was Fe0.1ppm, Mn 0.05ppm, B and Zn at 0.02ppm, Cu 0.01. Mo and Ni at 0.001ppm. In my tank this initially worked better than any store purchased fertilizer in my RO water tank with only one dose a week. The only issue that is showing up is that in ICP-OES lab test 3 people including myself have found Mn consumption was much higher than expected. If the cause of this is biological in nature Mn deficiency may be very common. To compensate for the high level of Mn is have to dose it about 3 times a week but I still have not determined how much total I need per week.

So overall the best fertilizers are the ones that are customized to take into account what is in your tap water. Or in my case what is not in my RO water. It is possible to make a microfertilzier that can be added once a week in EI tanks without overdosing.
Quesenek likes this.
post #202 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
@Surf I have to make an observation.

I see your many, many, many posts about the 14 nutrients being needed for plants to grow.

Why is it you never post pic of your tank? It would make your posts so much more relevant if you shared your results with the board, and also bring you more into the community.

It seems you have a lot to say, but for me and I am sure many others it's pretty much meaningless without seeing your results.

And please take this in the spirit that it is being offered. I would really like to see what you have accomplished, and it would just make your posts so much more interesting. As it is now, I know many just snicker when you repeat it again.

Why is it you don't want to share with the community??

And speaking of being part of the community, we had a similar situation in another thread today. You have 1,300 posts and have not "liked" a single other post, nor complimented or shown interest in a single person's tank here on this board.

Anyway, thought it was worth a shot. Sure would make your input more relevant and interesting.

---
---
post #203 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I cringe when threads like this are revived!
Please let the sleeping dog lay still!

@Surf you truly owe us all something.
Hell I've even posted my best algae growth!
Greggz likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode