Changed ferts/evaluate please... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Changed ferts/evaluate please...

The before: per a TEN g tank...+ 2 x T5 bulbs for light @ 6.4-6.6PH via a % of R/O water
1ml Excel per day
2ml Leaf Zone + 5ml Tetra Pride...after weekly water change.
The after:
1ml Excel per day
1ml Flourish Comprehensive + 5ml Tetra Pride + 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Nitrate + 1/32nd teaspoon of Potassium Phosphate
after weekly water change.

And just for the record: I do not want supersonic plant growth. I just want plants free of deficiencies for lack of nutrients and
this is intended to be a once a week dose which I'm trying to develope for those who don't wish to fert every day(especially me).

Any and all opinions welcomed...and you can laugh also if you need to...
Point of interest: My plants slowed down on their growth at the same time I started the new ferts. Been three weeks now.
Why do you think this might be ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Why not just use a modified EI for low light?

I would use a solution for small tanks. Measuring such small amounts of dry fertilizers leaves little margin for error.

The solutions...

Mix 12 teaspoons of KNO3 in 500 ml of water.
Mix 1 teaspoon of KH2PO4 in 500 ml of water.

Dose 5ml of this solution once a week after water change.

5ml of the KNO3 solution will add 10ppm of NO3 and 6ppm of K+
5ml of the KH2PO4 solution will add 1ppm of PO4 and 0.41ppm of K+

Use the Flourish comprehensive for iron and trace nutrients. Dose 2ml of this once a week. You may want to wait a few hours between doses or separate days due to PO4 and Fe binding together.

You should be able to continue adding the Tetra pride although it most likely won't make a difference. I'm not familiar with the amounts of each nutrient but if memory serves me correctly it is just potassium and Fe.

If you have a low GH you may need to add GH booster.

Note: The iron in comprehensive and tetra pride will not last a week even at your PH. To provide iron at all times more frequent dosing would be needed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have the set of measuring spoons which goes down to 1/64th teaspoon.
The amounts that I listed were suggested to me by two different people who are familiar/w EI. I told them I had a ten gallon tank and wanted one dose that would be minimal for that size tank and to be used after a water change each week.
Where do I find a chart/list which tells you a suggested PPM for these nutrients ?
When people say this amount will give you so many PPM, I have no references to compare that to.

This IS my modified EI for single doses per week. I had the Flourish Comprehensive so it became my Micro and the two dry ferts are the Macro.
Don't know if I'm shorting the tank but it has to be better than what I was using before. Had no Macro at all.
I will adjust as I go along.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This will help you figure your ppms from a dose. There are no charts per say, this is much better anyways. Have fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

According to that I'm overdosing on KH2PO4 AND I was told that particular nutrient is noticeable bad to overdose on.
Will just cut it in half next time.
But thanks a bunch. It will work for me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
There is nothing wrong with the dose you're using. It is a little heavy but acceptable. I just think it's easier to dilute the dry fertilizers with water and more accurate than measuring dry volumes of that size.

You want your tank's nutrient levels to be in the ranges below. This will allow non-limiting nutrients. This is why we explain how much of what we add. A good way to see what happens to nutrient levels with water changes over time is this web page.

EI target ranges
NO3 (nitrate) range 5-30ppm
K+ (potassium) range 10-30ppm
PO4 (phosphate) range 1.0-3.0 ppm
Fe (iron) 0.2-0.1ppm
GH (general hardness) range 3 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
There is nothing wrong with the dose you're using. It is a little heavy but acceptable. I just think it's easier to dilute the dry fertilizers with water and more accurate than measuring dry volumes of that size.

You want your tank's nutrient levels to be in the ranges below. This will allow non-limiting nutrients. This is why we explain how much of what we add. A good way to see what happens to nutrient levels with water changes over time is this web page.

EI target ranges
NO3 (nitrate) range 5-30ppm
K+ (potassium) range 10-30ppm
PO4 (phosphate) range 1.0-3.0 ppm
Fe (iron) 0.2-0.1ppm
GH (general hardness) range 3 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
Thank you very much for the list and I found that page too. I have more than a few plants(in as much as you can and still see)
and they are almost all stemmed so they should take out some of those ferts. But funny thing....even when I list my water
change as 50% it still shows a build up on that "what is the results of" page.
And no doubt your right about it being more consistently even amounts/w liquid that you mix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode