Nitrates won't go down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nitrates won't go down

I can not get my nitrate levels to drop in my tank.

Here is tank for reference
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...2121&highlight=

I've cut out my EI for the last 2 weeks, and have done some substantial water changes. I'm testing with the api master kit. I know the no3 is working, I use my tap as a control and it comes out at 10ppm

Prior to winter, I was doing 75% r/o and 25% tap. The r/o is out in the garage and just takes to long to warm up, it sits at sub 70* and only have 1 heater and 4 buckets at a time wasn't working. So I've been doing 80% tap and 20% r/o with r/o being mainly used for top offs right now.

My nitrate is sitting at 40-60ppm, and has for the last month. I feed 1-2 pinch of food daily, usually around 5:15-5:30

I want to get the nitrate down to 10-15ppm, I was dosing kno3 and kh2po4 (5ml each every other day) with 30% water change weekly. Even doing a 50%+ water change weekly over the last 3 weeks the numbers have not gone down. I know the tank is a bit over stocked but I have the BB to sustain it. Plants are growing fairly quickly and no signs of "issues" not dosing for the last 2-3 weeks.

suggestions? i'm at a loss on what to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
If trates are 60 a 50% wc change only brings it to 30ppm....also make sure to clean filter floss well during pwc because over time it can cause high trates...hope some others chimein to help on the rest..good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't have any filter floss in the fluval 305, it has the sponges, bottom baskets have the black course sponges and then media in all of the rest. I have "cleaned" the filter once in the last 9 months, the sponge filters did not look that bad.

so if my tap water has 10-15ppm in trate, and I'm doing a 50% wc, then wouldn't the trates be 45. It's either do much larger w/cs weekly or deal with the high trates until I can get back to a higher % of r/o when it warms up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode