pH question for the experts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My pH drops from 7 to 6.6-.6.7 by morning (lights on). Is this normal? I know pH drops at night, but should it drop this much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I think that is still okay. Do you have soft water? Have you turned back the CO2? I don't remember if you use pressurized, but perhaps you can turn it off at night, or find some other means of reducing the CO2 influx during the night time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have pressurized CO2 and leave it on at night since my controller is set for 7 it never comes on at night. I was thinking about getting a air stone and pump. What are your thoughts on this?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
That could work. I favor little powerhead over airpumps, but either way you can get more surface agitation at night, which will help reducing the pH drop.

I think 6.6-6.7 vs 7 is still "okay". How are the fishies doing? If they seem alright I would keep monitoring, but not worry too much about it yet.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The fish appear to be doing ok. I just added a small power head and will give an update on Thursday.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

At lights off I was at 7.1, but that was .1 too high for me (jacking with the controller). In the morning I was at 6.8. I threw a flashlight in there to see if the fish were at the top gasping for air. I freaked them out to say the least, but they were at all levels.

I am going to watch it for a couple days and take note, but I am feeling better to say the least. I do feel that I was lacking big time in water movement and should have known better. From reading other posts I am sure that the lack of water movement is/was a contributing factor in my blue-green algae that hangs out in small parts of my substrate. I just ordered a new Eheim 2126 and once this gets in I am thinking of doing a 3 day black-out to get rid of the stuff if it's not gone by then. I think it enjoys an environment with low oxygen levels and since I was being a retard and supplying this environment it stuck around.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode