Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
I'm dosing EI but it doesn't includes k2so4, why is that? thanks
If you look up what KNO3,KH2PO4,are,,,then you will see that extra pottasium(K2SO4) is not normally needed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
If you look up what KNO3,KH2PO4,are,,,then you will see that extra pottasium(K2SO4) is not normally needed.
I see, just wondering why the EI package includes the k2so4 if it's not needed.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are some cases where additionnal potassium may be needed. Some plants are potassium hogs.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Like many things in this hobby, there are lots of variables about each tank. So some will need nitrate as they have no fish. Some will need phosphate. But then some will have those two in abundance due to fish and feeding, so they need potassium without nitrate or phosphate. Don't get into thinking that the estimates are what you will need. They are more an estimate of what you MIGHT need. It is also quite likely that you will need to adjust the amounts and types as you see what is truly needed for your tank.
No cut and dried rules, just estimates.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The older EI "recipes" included K2SO4. Many have gone to the more recent versions and utilize GH booster which contains K2SO4 so additional dosing isn't typically specified. Some people still dose it as it provides more potassium than other compounds.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
I'm dosing EI but it doesn't includes k2so4, why is that? thanks
because EI KNO3 have enough K+ for the plant growth, there is no need to add more K+, unless you want to add more k+ to increase the uptake of Nitrogen, you don't want to get the cynobacteria by doing this, or do you?

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

If you start to see pinholes developing, for example, hit it with additional potassium. In my tank, I always have to dose additional.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedrich View Post
like many things in this hobby, there are lots of variables about each tank. So some will need nitrate as they have no fish. Some will need phosphate. But then some will have those two in abundance due to fish and feeding, so they need potassium without nitrate or phosphate. Don't get into thinking that the estimates are what you will need. They are more an estimate of what you might need. It is also quite likely that you will need to adjust the amounts and types as you see what is truly needed for your tank.
No cut and dried rules, just estimates.
++1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think I understand, I was thinking that EI is a set in stone kind of thing, word estimated didn't click right away. I'll do some water testing and adjust. It gives me some understanding on the nutrient in question though. And no, I don't care for cyano.

Last edited by HUNTER; 12-10-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Edit
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Now if we could just get some fish and plants that stay the same size, don't reproduce and let us get it all cut and dried!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok another question, since my tank is at the end of it's cycle and I have some nitrates 20-40. In other words skip the Kno3 and just dose Po4?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Ok another question, since my tank is at the end of it's cycle and I have some nitrates 20-40. In other words skip the Kno3 and just dose Po4?
Yes, you can do this for now, until your nitrates are a bit lower.

Once you start adding plants, they will most likely suck up the nitrates from your cycle quite quickly, so additional supplementation will be required.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
A densely planted tank is likely to use up small amounts of potassium in the water.

NPK are the three macro nutrients because they are needed in the largest amounts. Potassium is usually the second most used nutrient plants need, depending on the species, so potassium deficiency is definitely at the top of the list of nutrients you need to be dosing.

KNO3 is not always enough to supply all the K plants need. As stated above some species are K hogs and need a lot more of the stuff to grow correctly.

Looking for deficiencies and then adding more is one way to do it, at the very least it will give you a better understanding of plants and how much fertilizer they need to get by.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I tested the water this morning and nitrates at 20ppm, I'll dose half on Kno3, full dosage on Kpo4 and I'll do K2so4 once a week just to make sure. I'll test again at the end of the week before water change and see the nitrate value.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode