Phosphate Levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (38/100%)
Phosphate Levels

Does anyone else notice phosphate levels dropping really quickly in their tanks? I am dosing a capful of Seachem phosphorus every other day for a 10 gallon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Phosphate levels are best judged by the reaction of the plants, viz:

If there is NO SIGN of a deficiency, then you must assume that there's a chemical reaction taking place, ie:high calcium levels can react with phosphate, or the test kit is faulty.

Regards
Cor

Last edited by Greystoke; 12-10-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: correction
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Does anyone else notice phosphate levels dropping really quickly in their tanks?
yes. there have been quiet a few threads about this.
i have this problem in all my tanks with different types of substrate. i assume its my tap water responsible for this. what i do is simply overdose kh2po4.

for example last tank i set up was dirted. i didnt change water from day one for 2 weeks. ran into 200+ppm of NO3 while po4 was less than 0.5ppm. huge amount of rotting material after planting in tank yet still no reasonable po4. im not tempted to solve the mystery, i just dose kh2po4 and enjoy my tanks

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Does anyone else notice phosphate levels dropping really quickly in their tanks? I am dosing a capful of Seachem phosphorus every other day for a 10 gallon!
i know for fact soil like ADA aqua soil will absorb lot of po4, i would add 0.5ppm po4 everyday and it would be 0 by the end of the day, i also have tons of plants, so plant and soil use ton of po4 here. its also possible for calcium and phosphate to react with each others.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for responses. I'm using eco-complete substrate which contains iron, I think. It might be possible those are reacting with each other. I also have crushed coral in the filter to boost the KH a little. None of my plants are showing deficiency, but I'm trying to make sure that no single nutrient bottoms out. Interesting stuff though, I have seen people have uncontrollable phosphates, but others have bottoming out phosphates...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
So we know Aquasoil absorbs PO4, how much more/often do you guys dose to compensate for this?

I've been dosing double EI (calculated with rota.la) every other day but still getting GSA, I'm thinking of tripling it.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
So we know Aquasoil absorbs PO4, how much more/often do you guys dose to compensate for this?

I've been dosing double EI (calculated with rota.la) every other day but still getting GSA, I'm thinking of tripling it.
I'm not using Aquasoil, but I have noticed prolific green spot algae on the glass too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm not using Aquasoil, but I have noticed prolific green spot algae on the glass too.
I have high KH so there may be a combination of PO4 sucking going on for me. I've dosed 2ppm which becomes undetectable with my test kit the next day.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I have high KH so there may be a combination of PO4 sucking going on for me. I've dosed 2ppm which becomes undetectable with my test kit the next day.
That is interesting. I've observed that before too. My KH is around 4/5, which I had wanted to add to avoid major PH swings. How high is your KH?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i would also like to add one more thing, people who have hard water with high calcium levels should add more po4 and Fe, PO4 react with high calcium levels and most of doesn't get to the plants, plants will grab whatever they can before the Ca Po4 reaction could occur, when this reaction occur it become Calcium phosphate which is not very soluble in hard water, Eco-complete also have GH raising properties, when eco complete is combined with even harder water the results are what you are experiencing right now, same apply for those who use Ferrous Gluconate when they add it and get cloudy water.

Quote:

Quote:

i use to dose 1/4 tsps 3x week in my 50g tank, this tank had hard water, that is 5ppm po4, total 15ppm of po4 per week.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-10-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Back to back post
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Member

I'll remix my macro solution tonight and adjust accordingly, thanks happi!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to remove the crushed coral in my canister filter and see how that plays out. I also think I may have dosed phosphate and fe too closely together (few mins apart), which might explain why my water's been white cloudy recently...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to remove the crushed coral in my canister filter and see how that plays out. I also think I may have dosed phosphate and fe too closely together (few mins apart), which might explain why my water's been white cloudy recently...

BTW i run all my tanks at 0 KH, PH swing IGNORE IT, plant loves low KH and you are more likely to kill your fish by messing with the kh rather than having it at 0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode