Can i fertilize almost at the end of photoperiod? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can i fertilize almost at the end of photoperiod?

Hi all,

as the question says, due to my late night arrival at home (22pm), i wanted to give the photoperiod a start from 18pm to 2am,

My tank is on a very shady area of my house, beneath the stairs, so the light from sun shouldnt be a problem,

The real issue is if fertilizing the EI method at 22:30pm, is any problem being 4:30 hours after period starting?

My thoughts are that plants dont use the nutrients all at once, so giving stable values would make no problem as the previous day nutrients are still present when i dose again,

Am i right?

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
normally NPK can be dosed at any time of the day/night, i would avoid adding Iron during night time, iron doesn't last in the water for long time and can be useful when plants are up taking the nutrients during the lights are on, Traces can also be dosed any time of the day/night.

however it is also true plant still uptake nutrients when the lights are off, they can reserve most of the nutrients for later use when the light turns on. another thing to consider is what kind of iron Chelate is being used, EDTA, DTPA, HEEDTA etc all act differently when added to the water, some last in the water for few hours and some for more than a day.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So adding ferts, specially iron during lights but on the middle of the period shoundt pose any problem?

Other thing is, how to determine if sunlight is weak enough?
I think the only means should be testing but a pretty shady area with no direct sunlight should not pose a problem right?

Tank is beneath stairs, concrete stairs and the light comes from a big window 4 meters away with a wall hidding it,
I ask this since the photoperiod will be during night and the effective night tine is during day lol
6pm to 2am

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Adding the fertilizers at a less than optimum time will have a very minor effect, and you can just slightly increase the dosages if you think that is a problem. Fertilizing isn't an exact science - there is a pretty broad range of dosages that will work fine, especially if you do regular water changes.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Then im more tranquilized about this

thank you for the help!

About the sunlight thing, any input?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not a problem with a little light such as you are describing.

Ferts: the best timing is the one that works for you.
Fighting to do it at some odd time that does not suit your schedule is likely to result in missed doses, up and down levels... a sure trigger for algae.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Glad to hear that
so if i could dose sometimes at 8pm, and others at 22:30 pm, there shoudnt really be any diference right?

the 22:30 pm dosing time was for the latest hour that im at home, but most days i could dose at 8pm, closer to the start of the period,

Just wanted to clear that out of my mind

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode