ph staying at 7.4 during the day it used to jump to 7.9-8 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ph staying at 7.4 during the day it used to jump to 7.9-8

i have a 55gal planted tank that has been running for 3 months or so running co2 daily on a controller (calibrated) well water being used is at 8.o kh 6.74
gh 1.68 no buffers gravel bed . . temp at 78*. biomax in fluval 406.. with puregen and 1 carbon to remove med.
everything was running fine i had to add ick attach to fight ick for 3 weeks and elevated temps at 88* ick fixed
now my ph seems stuck at 7.4 and drops with the co2 down to 6.8 as it was before however i cant get the dang dropchecker green and when i let off co2 it only goes back to 7.4 again.
ph 6.8-7.4
ammonia= 0
nitrites= 0
nitrates n03 =20ppm
4dk drop checker with new ph reg solution .
did i loose my cycle or what
by the way i did check the well water today its still (8.0)
i have also done 3 pcw = 20% and 1 30% from sunday morning till now and the water is crystal clear but somthings amiss .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMO I would test or calibrate the probe or what ever you're using to get your pH readings. If it is just a normal test kit then you can rule that out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ive calibrated the probe with ph 7.0 solution and used a api ph liquid kit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As tanks age a bit, PH tends to drift down. The cycle is more related to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and since those look normal, I would not be concerned about that part. It just takes some time for things to get settled fully. Just take longer to clean the filters when tanks are new and be much more careful of the bacteria as they seem to be "tender" and easy to disrupt at first.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is the KH still the same?
Well: Before and now? (Probably- if the pH has not changed)
Tank: Before, and now?

Carbonates are one of the major buffers for the pH. If something has been removing carbonates this would allow the pH to stabilize at lower values.

Quote:
gh 1.68
Does this mean that the GH is just over 1 German degree of hardness? There are several methods of reporting GH and KH, and it helps to have the units.
Anyway, that is sort of low. Have you tested for calcium? Do you have any suspicion that either Ca or Mg are too low?
These are not part of the pH question, just a side issue.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

its gh=30ppm
kh120ppm i had converted it .
well water is soft .
the only difference is she removed 7 rocks about .5 inches out of the tank to add more smaller rocks she liked . they were ph neutral per the bag label.
i finally got a green drop checker (blue green) at 6.7 as a low and high at lights off of 7.4 somthings weird still , would 20 for nitrates cause the ph to lock at. i checked the day i posted and gh kh hasnt changed . tho my ph meter was .01 off so 7.0 i get that but still nothing enough to make the ph that far off not like it was more than a smige
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I do not think that nitrates affect the pH.

Some of the processes that create nitrates can affect pH, though.
The bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrates (via nitrate) use the carbonate (KH) as their source of carbon. If you have a high stocking level you are probably feeding lots of fish food. All that ammonia is getting processed by plants, microorganisms, fish and especially the nitrifying bacteria. They are not the only ones that remove KH, and this overall decomposing system will tend to lower the pH.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless you are seeing problems in the tank, with the plants or fish, there is really no reason to worry about what the pH is. Most of the tests we can do are useful when there is a nagging problem that we can't seem to get a handle on. Other than that, those tests are either fun to do, or not worth doing. And, pH is one of the main tests that really doesn't tell you anything that the tank isn't telling you by how well the fish and plants are doing. This wouldn't be worth mentioning except that when we obsess over pH and start doing things to "fix" it, we generally will be disrupting the life in the tank, and most likely doing more harm than good. So, why do it?

Hoppy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i completely agree rich Diana and hoppy
i wasnt even attempting to "adj" the ph i just wondered i guess why the water added was 8.0 once it got in the tank it was bamm 7.4 i like that it setteled i just didnt know if the 20ppm no3 had caused the level to stay lower and if plants are pearling & growing their #$#@ off and im getting down to 6.6-6.7 now my dc is green it seems good to go all plants are growing the algae is too but i just turned the co2 back on after a 2 week off period . fish are great too loaches and all ... thanks guys

oh is there anyway to keep the loaches out of my hcs ? lol their like lawn mowers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Loaches in one tank, plant in another.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode