Fert/water film problem... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Fert/water film problem...

I do suppose this may not be related to ferts, but it will take a lot to convince me that it's not.
I just did a water change as per usual % and then added my doses of ferts. I do this one(1) time each week.
I am trying to replicate the nutrients from the E.I. dry fert list, by a reduced rate for light on the low end of
the med level. I also don't use CO2. This is a ten G tank and I have two of them. One is fine and both just
had the weekly routine. Except that the other one has a vastly different stocking load and gets Excel. That
tank also has T5 lights and thus the Excel. All other factors are identical.
As I said I changed the water and did the ferts about 8:30A.M. and now this tank has a film on the top of the
water. Funny in that you can't see it. You can only tell by the fact that when you look up through the water
you can tell there's no circulation on the top. I just placed a few flakes in it and they are barely moving. Usually
they circle the top of the tank. It should be noticed that this is only the second time I've used one of the
components to the fert. I had it so why throw it away, so I use Flourish Comprehensive for the Micros plus
I also dose Tetra Pride per directions. This completes the Micro ferts I use. Then for the Macros the Potassium
Nitratre just got here. I asked for someone on here to guestimate a weekly dose of the Nitrate for me and in a tenG tank and they said 1/4 teaspoon. I intend to cut that in half later but for now the tank has some BGA and Nitrate is listed as a remedy. So I used the full 1/4 teaspoon amount. So this is the second time using the Nitrate. The Potassium Phosphate is coming.
Can anyone guess as to why I might have a film on top of my water from this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
you can remove it with paper towel.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You say food normally circles the surface but now hardly moves ,which suggest's maybe flow issues.
Adjusting return from filter to create slight rippling on surface will help keep film from forming.
You also suggest vastly different stocking level's which suggest's more or less food being offered.More organic content could contribute to the protein film. (can adjust this easily.)
Plant's also respire (starches,enzymes,protein's) and this too can contribute.
I have found that after a few month's,,the film that sometimes appear's seem's to diminish with increased plant mass,more stability/maturity.
If you suspect that more fertz than low tech,low light growth demand's with present plant mass are being used,,then cut the dose and observe the plant growth.
If growth does not continue ,or plant's begin to exhibit poor health,,then you can bump the fertilizer back up.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
you can remove it with paper towel.
Thanks dzega, it was only a short while after I wrote the post that it began to break up. In fact, if your familiar/w the
way putting a pinch of flake food in there seems to repel anything near it on the surface, it was that which started the
film to break up. Just took a bit, that's all so couldn't have been much of a film.

Road, it has a filter(that is a DIY built in)which works exactly as an undergravel filter in it's discharge so picture one of
those 90 degree return line tubes on an undergravel filter being 1/4" below the surface AND it using no air stone/w large
bubbles constantly breaking the surface while also producing a fairly strong current which if you look down from the top
goes counterclockwise around the tank bringing the water around and back to the filter. And BTW this is the tank/w the
50% stocking level which is a guestimate cause Aqvisor don't list the fish so a sub is made but three half grown neon
tetra sized fish and 5 RCS don't make much of a bio load. The tank has been subjected to overfeeding as the Banded Pigmy
sunfish don't eat flake/like live food/won't eat much of the frozen bloodworms I do feed them so it stays in there. Which
is why I put in the RCS to eat it. It's all progressing towards a more healthy tank so this film surprised me. But it broke
up within an hr after making the post so...
Actually going to Macro/Micro was to build up plant mass so that's coming along well as that day(yesterday) the pearling
went from only coming from about two plants and from a cut off part(trimming) which left somewhere for the bubbles
to escape from the plant, to coming from many plants in there. Finally...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode