Added Flourish, got algae. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Added Flourish, got algae.

2.5g planted tank was doing good until I added Flourish. After adding I got some ugly algae. Everyone said my light was too low, but the plants grow great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What are your conditions (lighting, fertilization, CO2) like?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertz doesn't caused algae. It's your lighting (too long photoperiod or/and strong light) and lack of co2.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I posted here about my light and everyone said I had low light.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Algae Grower

So, if your tank was doing fine then why did you add ferts? Plants showing deficiencies?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Planted Member

Basically fertz alone will not caused algae. It's lighting and lack co2. If not your lighting then it's your Co2.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
2.5g planted tank was doing good until I added Flourish. After adding I got some ugly algae. Everyone said my light was too low, but the plants grow great.

what is the PH of the water? what kind of algae are you getting?

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

AFAIK flourish is a brand name.
you need to specify what exactly you added. and a pic of algae you having.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
AFAIK flourish is a brand name.
you need to specify what exactly you added. and a pic of algae you having.
Flourish is not a brand name. It's product name. Seachem is the brand name. He added fertz called Seachem flourish.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have a 10 gallon tank that I neglect and algae was never a problem for it. I started putting a few drops of fertilizer in and BAM. Started growing algae. I've started to neglect it again and guess what. No algae. I do no ferts and no co2. Plants aren't taking off but there's no algae. So from my experience; I'd have to say ferts can throw your tank out of balance and cause you to grow algae.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSo View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank that I neglect and algae was never a problem for it. I started putting a few drops of fertilizer in and BAM. Started growing algae. I've started to neglect it again and guess what. No algae. I do no ferts and no co2. Plants aren't taking off but there's no algae. So from my experience; I'd have to say ferts can throw your tank out of balance and cause you to grow algae.
If your tank are planted then you need fertz, co2 and photo period. Balance those 3, you will have nice planted aquarium. Fertz alone won't throw your tank off balance. It's the combination of fertz, co2 and photo period that will caused algae if you didn't balance it properly.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Are you trying to argue an excess of nutrients will not cause algae?

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Planted Member

Fertz without enough co2= algae, fertz without correct balance of light and photoperiod= algae. Too much fertz with correct co2 and light= multiple defiency at once in a plant. Simple as that.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lot's of folk's use fertilizer's and lot's of em (daily with EI dosing), +fish food's,fish waste, and don't get algae.
8 watt's of t5 over roughly two gal is maybe a bit much, but could be bout right depending on how long the light is on ,or how high over the tank the light is.
Seachem's flourish comprehensive is largely water,and micro nutrient's with not much in the way of macro nutrient's (a little).
T5 bulb's NO or HO are still considerably more light than T8 bulb's.
2 gal tank ain't very deep and the light is often more than what folk's think they need.
Organic waste in the way of fish waste,fish food's,poor maint, are more likely to precipitate algae bloom than adding fertilizer unless WAYYYY overdosed and even then,,what may be too much?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
the thread owner never mentioned if he/she is using anything else beside Seachem flourish comprehensive, this product will cause hair algae if overdosed, in my case hair algae was very common issue when high Fe levels were added to the tank from Seachem's flourish comprehensive, the same issue did not occur when using csm+b, i think it has something to do with the chelate they use. but, lets not blame the fert so fast before correcting all the other possibilities first.

can you provide all the detail about your tank from A-Z. in the previous post i asked about the PH, the reason behind that was because if you were using seachem Nitrogen then PH would have played important role, Seachem uses Urea in their nitrogen which could results in green hair and green water algae if the PH is high.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Last edited by happi; 12-05-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode