Well Water Issues, Please help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
Well Water Issues, Please help.

I have been reading around on the forum here to find some answers but I am still confused as to what is my best approach.

I just relocated and am now on well water.
I have tested for ph and kh so far.
pH - 7.6
kH - 11

I plan on starting my high tech 20gal over with a new substrate. I am currently using tahiti moon sand.
Anyways, back to the water conditions.
I am curious what the best and most cost efficient way to go would be for conditioning and filtering my water.

As far as substrate, I have been reading that hard water and AS dont mix well, or at least for the first month or so.

My 20gal Tall tank setup:
2 x 65W CF bulbs
aquaclear 30 filter
pressurized co2

What direction should I go here? I want to use a better more nutritious substrate than moon sand. I want a light colored substrate but I will use cosmetic sand in addition if I have to.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
There is also a new AS Amazonian 2. It is to be used for hard water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really? Even so, when doing water changes I will be adding that hard water.
Should it not be filtered in any way?

My desired params are ph 6.5 and kh 3

Hmm, seems the amazonia 2 is perfect. Will I need to place anything else beneath it? Or can I use just this AS?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Consider yourself lucky; mine are pH 7.8 and KH 14.

If you really have to get to pH 6.5 and KH 3, you need to go the RO route. Given a KH of 11, conventional well water softeners will end up putting a bunch of salt in the water, and won't get the pH down that low.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Holy crap!

My tank went from 3 kH and 6.5 pH to 7.7 pH and 8kH in a few days and all of my shrimp died that i noticed. Today I just noticed an amano shrimp looking around, eating algae! Thats a hardcore shrimp
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 AM

So what do you think is eating up the hardness and lowering your Ph? Your substrate? If this is the case then I would suggest doing small water changes to help to keep the tank stable. Once it gets to where it's going, ph and kh wise, then you can experiment to determine how much water you can change while minimally affecting the params.

kara
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittiepride View Post
So what do you think is eating up the hardness and lowering your Ph? Your substrate? If this is the case then I would suggest doing small water changes to help to keep the tank stable. Once it gets to where it's going, ph and kh wise, then you can experiment to determine how much water you can change while minimally affecting the params.

kara
Nothing is lowering my pH...? Its the well water that is raising it.
I plan on redoing my tank which I have wanted to do for a long time. I am going to use the ADA AS amazonia 2 and use an R/O unit to filter the water. And then add unfiltered well water to raise my kH to the desired level as suggested by Rex.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today I decided to walk up to the well house and take some pictures. I am curious what sort of filtration its using. I have to admit I was a little scared of walking inside the well house after reading a beefy document on Brown Recluse's and Black Widows that of course mentioned that these spiders love well houses.

And sure enough as I lean in to take a closer picture of the filter I notice these guys all over.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone know what that blue filter is?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yay! More fun!
My new neighbors decided to buy a huge pool and fill it up in one day. Because of that, they have drained the well, cause it to refill and stir up all
the silt on the bottom of the well turning my water into milky white water.

I had no choice but to add this water to my fishtank, it had been two weeks since a WC.
Check out the video.

I am going to buy an RO unit I think, maybe RO/DI. Which I have a question about. If the unit produces 50gpd, does this need to be hooked up to a tank that will hold water? Do these produce clean water fast enough to fill a glass of water under 20 seconds?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I hate to laugh at your expense but the video sure tickled my funny bone. Looks like the piroclastic(spelling?) flow from a volcano. Wish I could help with the r.o. questions but I do not have one my self. Most people buy a drum or large rubber maid to hold water. I have seen some set up with float valves to shut the system down when barrel is full. I would think that if you do water changes on Sundays you could turn on r.o. system on and fill the holding container on Saturday afternoon.....night.

Do a search for RO on the forum tool bar.

You gotta love neighbors.

good luck.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 AM

Have you had the water tested or had water purveyor/dealer come talk to you about your setup?

I would be concerned about YOUR health from your well...boil water. I can GUARANTEE you that you have total coliforms in your well which means you need to boil water.

Would be interested to know what systems are going on. Looks like some mechanical filters (blue one) and maybe some sand or softener system?

kara
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, please dont scare me now, after I just downed a glass of water.
The people I have talked with, other residents here and my landlord who is also on well water says its harmless but that could just be their ignorance.
Is there any test I can do to see is the water is harmful or not?
Or should I call the company that installed the well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittiepride View Post
Have you had the water tested or had water purveyor/dealer come talk to you about your setup?

I would be concerned about YOUR health from your well...boil water. I can GUARANTEE you that you have total coliforms in your well which means you need to boil water.

Would be interested to know what systems are going on. Looks like some mechanical filters (blue one) and maybe some sand or softener system?

kara
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoid View Post
Wow, please dont scare me now, after I just downed a glass of water.
The people I have talked with, other residents here and my landlord who is also on well water says its harmless but that could just be their ignorance.
Is there any test I can do to see is the water is harmful or not?
Or should I call the company that installed the well?
Most water stores that sell drinking water systems will test your water for free to see if it is drinkable. The reason is because they want your service.

Hey Culligan Man!!!!

I am also on well water Iowa country living at it's best. I and my family do not drink the water. We have drinking water cooler and the water man brings us 6 or so 5 gallon jugs once a month.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM

It should not hurt you but coliforms in your water which come from sand, dirt, everywhere can mean something else that isn't so benign is in your water. If you have young children, elderly, chemo or aids people exposed to the water then you can have problems.

Call you well driller or local water company and talk to them. We take for granted that our water is 'safe' to drink. We have many people come to our lab saying they've drank the water for years and find our that they have fecal coliforms or arsenic or some other high levels in their well...

our website may be helpfull www.nilabs.com

I would just consider if your water has sand in it or any other floaty, your filters are not doing their jobs and need maintenance.

Kara

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode