Ei dosing questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ei dosing questions

I have moderately hard water. I notice that a lot of people use RO water when they do the 50% reset water changes. With my tap water at a gh of 16, will this throw anything off when I do the 'reset'?

Also, I know that most people just dump the dry ferts in their aquariums, however, what if I just dissolve the salts in some tank water, will that throw anything off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are running the tank with straight tap water, GH 16 degrees, then the fish are used to that. The plants and fish will not use so much Ca and Mg through the week that the GH would go down very much. Maybe a degree. Maybe not even that much.
When you do water changes, then, it is not a significant difference.

If you are blending your tap + RO, and always make the same recipe, then the same idea holds: The plants and fish are using some of the minerals, but not much, so water changes should not be a problem.

If you are topping off with hard water or dosing GH booster, THEN the GH will be rising through the week, and a water change at the end of the week might mean too great a drop in GH, but probably not. However, over several months the tank water may have a tendency to gradually get harder and harder. This is when the volume and water chemistry of the water changes becomes important. It is better to top off with RO, and not dose GH booster in this case.

Here is how to tell:
Test GH at the beginning of the week. (Right after a water change).
Test GH at the end of the week. (Right before a water change).
If there is only a degree of difference, it might mean nothing but user error in testing. Or it might mean something.
Keep on testing, and chart the results. After a month or two...
If the GH has been rising, then there is something contributing to the Ca and Mg, and you probably do not want that.
If the GH has been sinking, then the plants and fish are using more of the Ca and Mg, and you might want to supplement. (easy: top off with tap water instead of RO)

You can follow whatever method you want to dose the dry ingredients.
Dose dry, right out of the package. I toss this into the flow from the filter or power head if I dose dry.
Make a blend in a bottle and dose dissolved ferts. This is faster, so I do this, making a big batch every so often.
Anything in between.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode