Cycle hick-up coinciding with wood fungus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Angry Cycle hick-up coinciding with wood fungus

As the title says my nano tank that has been fully cycled for over a month (no fauan just carefully measured pure ammonia noms for the BB) has had a hick-up and is no-longer fully cycled. About 2 days about I put a piece of manzanita branch in the tank. The branch has been de-barked, sanded, and boiled for 3 hours (changing water every hour) until the boiled water was clear not tea colored. But now the branch has a commonly seen (on this wood) semi-translucent soft fungus cover over the entirety of it. I've seen this on other tank people's manzanita wood before so I wasn't worried.. until I did a water test today, ammonia and nitrite are spiked at about 2 ppm each instead of my usual 0ppm. This confuses me since I've seen plenty of people keep fungus covered manzanita in tanks with fish and shrimp without incident.. but my beneficial bacteria are clearly not doing well with this...

If I remember right most people take out the wood, scrape off the fungus and re-boil it, but I don't see how people have had fauna in tanks with this (and sometimes fish/shrimp eat it) with the water readings getting bad.

So frustrating.. I hope I can get rid of this stuff and get the tank re-cycled quickly.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-29-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Please watch the language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
As well treated as the wood was, I do not see how...

but...

I wonder if some bugs or something came in on the wood, and the nitrogen spike is due to them (dead bugs) and nothing to do with the fungus?

Tags
cycling, driftwood, fungus, manzanita

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode