Dosing question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing question.

I measured my nitrate level, 60ppm. I'm using the EI dosing method for my 29gal with 55watt CF, now after I do my water change tomorrow if the nitrate level is not bellow 40ppm can I dose less KN03 and more K2S04 to keep the K up but bring the NO3 down until I can stabilize and balance the nitrate level with my dosing. Also is there any harm in an increase in the sulfate levels? I hope that made sense. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Hi Tim,

The short answer is: Yes.

But the short answer really isn't very helpful. You need to determine why Your N is High. In order to do that--You need to test P. If P is 0 or low then You need to add more P (and probably K and possibly micros). If P is High then You need to consider reducing N and P and adding more K (and possibly micros too).

Dosing EI and according to the fertilator--N should never exceed about 44ppm in Your tank (that's with the 50% WC every wk). So, they seem to be building some. Have You increased Your Bioload (fish, etc) recently? Keep in mind that hobbiest test kits are not that accurate and reading the result can be difficult.

How long has this tank been setup? ~6 months if I remember correctly.

Do You have fish, etc, or is it plant only?

What substrate?

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the response. That info about the P, N and K relationship helps, I'll definately go out and get a test kit for the P. The tank has 1, 6" oranda (who rips out all the plants), 4 neon tetras and 2 Oto's. The substrate is Ecocomplete. To keep waste down I feed the fish once everyother day. After the water change I retested the Nitrates and they were around 10ppm. So I dosed the normal 1/4 Tsp of KNO3. I'll be testing it again tonight. Thank you for the help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Hi Tim,

I deal with Lg Comet Goldfish (3-5") for the large adult Acrochordus in my sig. I generally try to maintain about 8-12 at any given time. Trying to get Goldfish and plants to live in that 40g space--without demolishing all of the plants has been a real challenge! What I have found is this:

Gold fish seem to get "Bored". So, feeding them more often helps keep them occupied. These comets will spend a lot of time sifting the gravel after all of the food is gone. Gives them something to do besides pick at everything in the tank--including the plants!

Some plants fair much better than others. Right now, I am having success with Compacta swords, Tropica swords, Crypt wendti, and a Kleiner bar sword. These plants are tougher than many others and/or taste bad. Combined with the multiple feedings/day---its working.

If possible--just try to feed less more often.

I use the Seachem P test kit. As far as I recall its pretty much recommended as the Best for Hobbiest grade P test kits go--I may be wrong on that though...

If You don't mind testing for a while--it will help You begin to understand Your Tank and make things easier over the long haul....

HTH

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I dont mind testing, I should have purchased all the test first so I'm prepared when this happens. My oranda does the same thing sifting the substrate and pulls out all the microsword. My arm is in that tank replanting it 3 times a day sometimes. I'll try a change in the feeding schedule see if that helps. Thank you again for the help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
They leave java ferns alone...
And try an anubias.. It's a tough plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode