Water Changes - What is the purpose? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Changes - What is the purpose?

I do regular water changes but, I have also thought about this and wanted to see what others think.

If you have crystal clear water and your water parameters are absolutely perfect and can't get any better. Then what is the actual point of doing a water change? Why would you want to take out perfect water and put in water that you just have to balance and fight to get back to perfect again just to take remove it once its balanced. Just seems like a lot more work than is necessary. I was always taught, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So what is the reason to do water changes even if it is not really necessary?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
People dose ferts and need to reset the nutrient cycle each week with water changes. It also eliminates or lowers harmful substances in water or even medication. Tap water also has many important micros that are vital for plant health.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
To keep the dissolved organics low and to reset the nutrient levels during an EI regimen.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I liked the idea of it all taking care of itself as in nature also. I don't have the knowledge and experience to attempt it yet but the "Walstad Method" looks very interesting if it works right.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
There are invisible hormones and salts that build up that are harmful to your fishes when it builds up to high levels. Even when your water is 'crystal clear' there are undetectable levels that need to be flushed out. If you go low tech and don't dose ferts, you can go with monthly water changes. That is as long as you don't have a high bio load.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Because to indefinitely maintain perfect water parameters yourself, without the benefit of water changes or Nature, would require the capability to test for every element and chemical compound, a full understanding of them all, and the ability to add or remove them selectively at will.

Nature will gladly help, but she doesn't have the same definition of "perfect" as you do. To her, perfect means only full of the greatest possible amount of life, and she doesn't much care if that life is plant, algae, or bacteria.

"Look at that front glass," she says, shaking her head disapprovingly. "How utterly barren! It would look so much nicer with a verdant coat of green dust algae. And this excess iron is just wasted, when it would be perfect for growing a bacterial colony of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans. I can hardly wait to see it swaying gently in the current!"

Yup. She'll do that kind of interior decorating, or something else you wouldn't find acceptable. So she needs an occasional push in what we consider the right direction.

And that's where, amongst other things, water changes come in. But if you wait until something starts going wrong to perform the change, it causes a larger disruption than if you'd been doing regular preventative changes all along.

Depending on the circumstances, water changes don't necessary have to be frequent, large, or burdensome. But they're still a good practice.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm curious about what you do to "balance" the water when you do a water change. It is generally much better to add nothing to the water after a water change except Prime or an equivalent dechlorinator, and perhaps some fertilizers and/or GH booster. Are you adjusting the pH or KH?

Hoppy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

How often does everyone change there water. I know it's gotta be dependent on if it's cycled or not. But talking about for a fully cycled tank. Thx
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
I do bi-weekly 50% water changes, can go up to 6-8wks.
The more delicate the fish, the more changes that are needed.

In a closed system, you couldn't add food, it would have to come from the tank. Otherwise, you're still adding contaminates. PLus, in nature, they have trillions upon trillions of gallons flushing through all the time. Being cleaned and used and such over and over. Not really possible in any man made environment w/o letting nature do the over flowing and refilling with rain.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have this cup that's about 1 1/2 cups, That's how much water I change everyday. all I use is aged tap water, no additives or anything. Heck it's not even heated, just room temperature....shrimp are happy, plants are happy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
reset the nutrient levels
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

I'm doing changes biweekly and it seems to be working. Just dechlorinator and its good to go.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do a 20% water change every 3-5 days, usually whenever I have a day off and feel like working on my tanks.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

Water Changes - What is the purpose?

Westhaven, good to see the tigers avatar. I was really pulling for them. I'm from the downriver area. Next season, go tigers! Btw 20% seems to be the magic number for me as well.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
+1 invisible thumbs up pretty much for everyone above me.

Those are the main reasons, purpose.. I learned the hard way in the past when I thought it was okay to not do water changes and only top off, because I thought the plants can take care of the fish waste produced, and so I said to myself.. What was the purpose of doing a wc? The waste is sucked out anyways.... And so, well, sadly I ended up with sick, stunted fish and some plant problems here and there over time.. Lesson learned. Now I'm quite diligent about doing wc's now lol.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode