High PH, should I increase CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
High PH, should I increase CO2

My tank has about 450GL water and the PH is around 7.34 at before the light on and 7.55 before the lights off.
Should I increase the CO2 dosing? Currently it is around 2 ~3 bubbles per second.

Yesterday my CO2 supply went out the the PH went up to 7.75, I was terrified. I had to change 20% water every other day to keep the PH from shooting up. The KH is around 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I would shoot for a ph 1.0 lower than what an outgassed sample of tank water reads. Ph fluctuation due to co2 doens't bother most fish as long as the co2 isn't too high.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
I would shoot for a ph 1.0 lower than what an outgassed sample of tank water reads. Ph fluctuation due to co2 doens't bother most fish as long as the co2 isn't too high.
What PH should I aim for?

I think I can get a gallon of the water and aerirated it over night to see the actual PH without the CO2 fertilization. Then aim for 1.0 lower than the outcome of the aeriration test?

PS. I was dosing CO2 continously through the night. But I already added a timer to shut it off after light's off this morning.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
What PH should I aim for?

I think I can get a gallon of the water and aerirated it over night to see the actual PH without the CO2 fertilization. Then aim for 1.0 lower than the outcome of the aeriration test?

PS. I was dosing CO2 continously through the night. But I already added a timer to shut it off after light's off this morning.
That sounds about right, I don't think you need a gallon though. It might take longer than over night to outgas all the co2 from that much water. I would use a pint or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode