Phosphates.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
I finally got a test kit in and guess what? I have no detectable phosphates period. So I guess my next step is to add phosphates. I really didn't believe it till I saw it myself. the rate is 10-1 with nitrates right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Hi Ginnie,

What testkit did you get (just curious)? Did you check the tapwater level... zero as well? What is the NO3 level in your tank?
About 10:1 NO3:PO4 is right, but be very careful when adding phosphates, as this can go the wrong way and create some interesting green water outbreaks. When increasing phosphate levels, go slow, and test often to make sure they are being used up by plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I added a small amount of fleet and the phosphates are at 0.1 now. Nitrates are 12.5. the phosphate test is Red Sea. I've been fighting bba for months in this tank. It was allover the back wall, the filter intakes, even a piece of driftwood , but it seems to be the retreat (knock on wood). The only place is is still hanging on is right in the front of my tank. But I can easily pull that out every few days. Hopefully getting this inline will completely get rid of it. I'll post the results of my water from the tap later.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I have that same test kit. My levels are usually 0.1 ppm, and I dose them up to about 0.5 ppm. You could even go up higher, especially if you have lots of light and plants in your tank. Just monitor the results so you don't trade one kind of algae with another one.

Do you have any SAE's? I guess the Flying Foxes don't eat the BBA. I have a "False SAE" which is somewhat related to the Flying Fox. He has grown a lot and gets sometimes a little agressive, mostly towards himself (in the mirror background). He doesn't eat any BBA either.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my lights are 3 shop lights running daylight bulbs and 2 cf's with 6700k bulbs. After I added the 2 cf is when I noticed the biggest decline in bba. I think that my lighting could be better and may be part of the problem. I'm researching redoing the lights when taxes come back. Not sure still if I'm going to completely redo them or OD them. I just got 4 small sae's last week. Have 2 false ones too. They clean the plants diligently but are not touching this. I have kribs and angels in here(at least till Friday) and the last time I tried adding shrimp they ended up being a meal. Friday I am going to get some apistos. making a day of it just to pick them up, so the kribs will be moved down to the 20l along with some lemon tetras.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode