Bacterial bloom. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
A few days ago my tank's water became cloudy I did two 30% water changes in the last few days and it keeps getting cloudy. My tank has been up for a month. I put Diy Co2 in the tank last week, I feed the Co2 into the filter and the filter floss is covered with bubbles. could the Co2 be killing the biofiltration? I haven't gotten a test kit now so I don't know the water parameters. Maybe the drop in PH from the Co2 sent everything out of whack causing the bloom. As far as I can tell the water is just cloudy and not green, and the water does not smell. The fish and plants seem fine. I also added a lot of fast growing plants in the last week and a small amount of Flourish. The tank is 55 gallon, there was no overflow from the yeast into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The CO2 is not going to kill the bio-filtration. Besides most of the bio-filtration in a planted tank is the plants.

You need to get test kits and get a handle on your tank. I'm betting that the addition of the CO2 actually has nothing to do with the cloudy water unless some of the mix got sucked into the tank.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

looks like I need to do some testing my mixture never got sucked into the tank. I have never had a tank look this cloudy, but I moved to a new area with a new water supply.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Erm, Rex, about 1 litre of my mix ended up in my tank, been battling for 3 days with plenty of water changes, not winning, any advice...?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lots and lots of water changes, and carbon will help. But one liter is a lot of mix. I have had this happen once or twice and ended up doing 50% water changes 3X a day to get it fixed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

FiNALY THE WATER IS CLEAR...

OMG, now my plants all have long black beard algae.... what a mess!!! O, well we will chaulk this one up to experience....

At least my G/F now saw why I want presurised CO2...
Was looking at importing the CO2 combo, but these people want over $1000 for shipping... I could get a plane ticket to Atlanta for $999.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If I were you I would piece my own system together. You should be able to get it all much cheaper that way. You need a regulator, cylinder, needle valve, and can build a bubble counter and reactor.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I am haveing great trouble finding a regulator here, cheapest quote so far about USD 180.

BTW, the gourami's are spawning again, dunn owhere the fry will go as the previous batches are big enough to canibalise allready.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Got an off-topic here :? Good to hear about Nordics gouramies though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
A few days ago my tank's water became cloudy I did two 30% water changes in the last few days and it keeps getting cloudy. My tank has been up for a month. I put Diy Co2 in the tank last week, I feed the Co2 into the filter and the filter floss is covered with bubbles. could the Co2 be killing the biofiltration? I haven't gotten a test kit now so I don't know the water parameters. Maybe the drop in PH from the Co2 sent everything out of whack causing the bloom. As far as I can tell the water is just cloudy and not green, and the water does not smell. The fish and plants seem fine. I also added a lot of fast growing plants in the last week and a small amount of Flourish. The tank is 55 gallon, there was no overflow from the yeast into the tank.
I suggest to stop water changes for a few days. New tanks go through those periods of algae and bacterial blooms before everything gets established and stabilizes.
But Rex is right, you need to test your water, if you inject CO2 you need to know pH and kH. Later on you will probably want to check Nitrates and Phosphates as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just changed a lot of water yesterday, I was trying to wait it out but the tank kept getting cloudier and cloudier and I was afraid that the plants wouldn't be getting enough light. So far the tank is looking better. I thinkt that a lack of water changes caused the bacterial bloom. So for now Should I just buy tests for Ph and Kh? And if the Ph and Kh where bad what chemicals would I need to buy to fix them?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Its happening again! I have been doing water changes but it hasn't helped. I am going to wait this one out. It started after I moved some plants around and added a second Yeast bottle (no yeast water entered the tank). So far the fish and plants don't mind.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with Wasserpest. Don't do anymore water changes. Feed your fish less. Your tank might not have the balance just yet or not completely cycled. Leave it along and the cloud will be gone. Once it's clear up, then you make a 50% water change.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What do you consider "bad" kH and pH? And going the chemical route to fixing "bad" water parameters is the wrong road to travel BTW.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Sounds like new tank syndrom.. hehe

If you are going to keep a planted tank, you are going to need kits

it would really help knowing your perims urk

ph
kh
gh
n03
p04

how many plants? how much light? C02 its all about balance, if you have to much light and good C02 and not enough plants, bloom :roll: could be one of many things.

I agree with rex chemical route is not good.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If my water parameters were all off how else would I adjust them? I have only been using flourish in the tank, so I doubt it is a nutrient overload. The tank is heavily planted with fast growing plants, cabomba, ambulia, hygros, rotala, pennywort, and others. I am running 2 coke bottle reactors with 160 watts from 2 shoplights. I will be receiving a 260 watt aqualight this week. I never got a test kit because from what I have read in the forum they are hard to read or do not work all the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode