KH test kits technical info - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Do they measure the [HCO3-] or [CO3--] or both? ("[]" = concentration)

Do different brands measure differently?

This is very important to know since you can get extremely different results if one KH test measures e.g. [HCO3-] but not [CO3--] when compared to another KH test kit that does vise versa. While KH stands for "carbonate harness," this can be misleading since by adding CO2, there is practically no CO3-- and the buffer exists as HCO3-.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
KH normally measures [HCO3-] instead of [CO3--]. There isn't any significant [CO3--] until pH >>> 8.
I made the exact same assumption, but later tought about it and chemistry-wise, it would be the illogical for KH kits to measure [HCO3-]. I called Red Sea tech support and asked the same question. The guy there was pretty rude and arrogant but said their KH test kits measure [CO3--]. This does makes sense and hereís how:

[HCO3-] <---> [CO3--] + [H+]
This is the equilibrium equation for our typical tap water buffer.

Think of it as a see-saw. As [H+] increase, the right side of the equation becomes too heavy and upsets the balance. Therefore, CO3-- reacts the with H+ to form HCO3- so the left side becomes heavier and the see-saw is again balanced.

We witnessed pH trying to decrease (As [H+] increases, pH decreases). We also know that lower pH means lower KH and vise versa. Therefore it would make sense that between the two ions, CO3-- and HCO3-, that KH measures the one that is deceasing and the correct answer is CO3--.

I however have read in various sources and as you suggest, that KH measures HCO3- and could have made a fault somewhere in my reasoning. I too question the Red Sea guys validity since he said GH kits measure HCO3-, which is just plainly wrong since they measure CaCO3.

Did you see anywhere I went wrong? Do you have any good sources to explain what KH measures? Itís very strange that I have never heard of KH and GH in my chem courses. They must be associated with fish keeping only.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Great! Everything makes perfect sense now. I knew I was missing something b/c today I was thinking over the matter again and finally figured out that without a pH >> 8 that HCO3- would be the primary buffer. Anyhow thanks for you help. And goes to show how some techies really can give a rip about their customers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode