Plants growing more quickly since I took the carbon out? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I removed the carbon filter pad from my power filter a few days ago so I could treat my fish for a small ich outbreak. My tank is a 10-gallon and the only supplement I'm using so far is Flourish Excel.

Well, my water became a little more cloudy when I took the carbon out (which I expected), but my plants also started growing much more quickly! Why is this? Does the carbon absorb things that they need? I mean it's almost a night and day kind of difference! Should I just leave the carbon out and deal with my water being a little more cloudy? It was crystal clear before but I like the way my plants have taken off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Activated carbon absorbs and removes traces ("heavy metals", for example), which are necessary for plant growth. Using carbon and plants together doesn't work very well.

Regular water changes, a reasonable stocking level, no overfeeding, and a good filtration will go a long way for crystal clear water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I wonder if the AC was also removing the Excel?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Activated carbon absorbs and removes traces ("heavy metals", for example)...
So dechlorinator that neutratlizes or "removes heavy metals" is probably hindering my plants, huh? Anyone recommend a good dechlorinator that does ONLY that? Something that lasts a while would be nice too...
I actually have Jungle Insto Chlor, whitch says nothing about heavy metals, and also claims to be safe for "fish and plants"... Would that be my best bet?

--cich
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I use Seachem Prime. Remember Iron is not normally considered a heavy metal. The metals they aim for are copper and lead. I know that Copper is not a heavy metal either but that's the info I was given.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Oh, so I'd be ok to keep using it, would you say? I have enought to last 8 years LOL.. would be a shame to put it in the corner to collect dust, not to mention, I use lead plant weights, and i would like to keep the dissolved Pb to a minimum...

--cich
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Does activated carbon really do anything once a layer of bacteria forms on it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good point. I've read that it doesn't do anything after a few day because it get covered with bacteria but almost everyone that has a planted tank or treats their tank for disease will remove AC becasue it can suck up some of the goodies (organics and cations) in the water.

I did some searching about water treatment chemicals. I use them but I'm undecided about their value. I'm almost certain that the recommend dosage is overkill and could be removing too much of the good stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode