Auto Nutrient Dosing Q's ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Auto Nutrient Dosing Q's ...

I've searched the forums without a good answer:

Can I mix Tom Barr's GH booster with CSMB and K2SO4? Or would it be better to mix it with KNO3 and KH2PO4? I'm just starting to setup an automatic dosing scheme with peristaltic pumps based on EI. I have a 100 gallon tank (water volume), soft RO water, and would like to add the GH booster ultimately to the dosing scheme with only two dosing containers. I already know not to mix iron and phosphate because of precipitates ...

Can you also double check my dosing scheme? I'm kinda nervous about automating this. Seems like a big step and I just mixed 4 weeks worth of chemicals that seemed like a lot. I want to make sure that I won't be overdosing. I've got lots of algae on the rocks right now, but I'm going to stick with this scheme for a while to see how it works overall. I probably also need more of a plant load. I'm measuring 20ppm nitrates daily at the levels I'm dosing currently:

container1: 6 tablespoons KNO3, 2 tablespoons KH2PO4, RO water added to 1000cc

container2: 2 tablespoons CSMB, 2 tablespoons K2SO4, RO water added to 1000cc

I'll dose each daily 12 hours apart (2AM container1, 2PM container2)

I've calculated about 35 cc/day will be needed of each which will give me the equivalent of EI:

High Light (5wpg)
1.5 tsp KNO3 3 times/wk
0.5 tsp KH2PO4 3 times/wk
0.5 tsp CSM+B 3 times/wk
0.5 tsp K2SO4 3 times/wk
10% daily water changes at 12AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
No reason to use the GH booster with K2SO4 as the booster contains plenty of potassium.

Why not mix tap water with the RO water? Tap water is almost free. And it contains lots of minerals.

Test your nitrate kit. They lie.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Deleted previous post.

If those are the substances that you are going to use, then I would dose the booster and CSMB in one container and the N, P, K in another......

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I could give an answer, but suggest PM Sergio as he doses via peristaltics with RO water too.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
dipan - short answer - you can't AUTOdose "enough" GH booster to reconstitute RO water to traditionally accepted parameters without an enormous reservoir and an industrial magnetic stirrer. It just isn't soluble enough to be practical. That being said, I've seen "under the hood" of your tank in your thread, and wouldn't put it past you to attempt it. I do know that there are individuals out there that use RO water and don't add anything to boost KH/GH. Your call really!

Sergio C.

-
-
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuRje1976 View Post
dipan - short answer - you can't AUTOdose "enough" GH booster to reconstitute RO water to traditionally accepted parameters without an enormous reservoir and an industrial magnetic stirrer. It just isn't soluble enough to be practical. That being said, I've seen "under the hood" of your tank in your thread, and wouldn't put it past you to attempt it. I do know that there are individuals out there that use RO water and don't add anything to boost KH/GH. Your call really!
That's Good to know and really makes sense. I decided to go 100% RO, but was contemplating auto-dosing the Booster before I made that decision.

I highly recommend 100%RO! Doin' It and Lovin' It!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
That's Good to know and really makes sense. I decided to go 100% RO, but was contemplating auto-dosing the Booster before I made that decision.

I highly recommend 100%RO! Doin' It and Lovin' It!
I understand that there are folks out there using 100% RO, and while I'm not worried about KH/pH issues too much, I am worried that some minerals (Ca++, Mg++, and some others) that are not included in the trace mix will not be present in sufficient amounts and available for plants that need them. Don't want to have a nutritional deficiency. I think the best solution, since I don't have tapwater chloramine issues, is to just add tap back, like Rex suggested. I had already plumbed a tap line in just in case I needed to do that.

For those that use 100% RO with success, that's probably not DI also, right? The small amount of TDS that gets through presumably has enough minerals to keep your plants healthy. My tap TDS is ~340 , and my post RO is 7. What's your post RO TDS, if you've measured it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I use RO/DI and I do not add anything back to it, been doing that for a few years now, no need for it, I also use Plantex CSM+B, Flourish Comprehensive and Tropica plant nutrition at various time because the makeup of their properties are a bit different, just to make sure I get enough of everything trace wise.
I don't know what my TDS registers, I do not have a meter any more.

Every plant does very well in these conditions.

Trace mix properties:
http://www.gpodio.com/fert_table.asp

Craig

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post

For those that use 100% RO with success, that's probably not DI also, right? The small amount of TDS that gets through presumably has enough minerals to keep your plants healthy. My tap TDS is ~340 , and my post RO is 7. What's your post RO TDS, if you've measured it?
I use RO plus Triple DI--(Zero! ppm). Here's a Pic:

The RO water comes out of the membrane into the horizontal DI (which really isn't worth a flip--so I added the Dual DI) into the Dual DI on the floor. No I don't Need Lab quality water--But I Want it! I want the Zero TDS starting point. Silly? Maybe!

I have been using 100% RODI Zero TDS water for the last couple of months or so and have absolutely No regrets!

My Specs: Unaltered pH: 6.8, Kh1, Gh 2.25-2.5 I don't reconstitue anything. I add P, K, Micros, Black Water and Fish Food.

HTH

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I have the exact same RO/DI unit, Aqua-safe systems, no regrets, good unit indeed.

Craig

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
I have the exact same RO/DI unit, Aqua-safe systems, no regrets, good unit indeed.
I've had mine since Nov 06 and have run a lot of juice through it--No Regrets either. Great Bang-for-Buck system!

Trying to decide now whether to buy another whole unit, piggy-back another membrane or what?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode