My Hardness Values - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
My Hardness Values

I have had a problem with older leaves getting algae and/or falling off. Aside from telling me to increase co2, the other reason I've heard of this happening is possibly a deficiency in Ca or Mg. I was able to get the following readings from the water plant:

Average 38 mg/l Ca
12 mg/l Mg

Is this enough of these nutrients to prevent deficiency? The info I've seen only gives degrees hardness in GH.

(As an aside, I was suprised to learn the water averages 1.9 mg/l PO4!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
My water company adds phosphate compounds to stabilize the chlorimides and raise the ph. You may find if you are close to the plant you have a higher reading of phosphates then what is listed
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post
I have had a problem with older leaves getting algae and/or falling off. Aside from telling me to increase co2, the other reason I've heard of this happening is possibly a deficiency in Ca or Mg. I was able to get the following readings from the water plant:

Average 38 mg/l Ca
12 mg/l Mg

Is this enough of these nutrients to prevent deficiency? The info I've seen only gives degrees hardness in GH.

(As an aside, I was suprised to learn the water averages 1.9 mg/l PO4!!!)
It looks like they are reporting as ppm Ca and ppm Mg, NOT as ppm CaCO3 equivalent (which would be divided by 17.9 to get dGH). SO:

38mg/l Ca * 100gCaCO3/40.0g Ca = 95 ppm CaCO3 equivalent/17.9 = 5.3 dGH from calcium alone.

12mg/l Mg * 100gCaCO3/24.3g Mg = 49 ppm CaCO3 equivalent/17.9 = 2.8 dGH from magnesium alone.

So you should measure 8dGH (5.3 + 2.8)- and there is plenty of each element there for your plants.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
Thanks, Kevin that's exactly the kind of conversion/calculation I was looking for. I'll double-check with a test tube measurement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode