Following an old Barr article and building an emersed plant filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Following an old Barr article and building an emersed plant filter

Newbie there, first posting ... so a big Howdy to all the folks on this forum.

This is the article that I am referring to:
http://www.sfbaaps.com/articles/barr_03.html

The objectives are (1) to lower nitrate in a fish only tank. (2) to have a more balanced tank. (3) to reduce water changes.

Question:

1. Since the plants are not submerged and not in the tank, can I still use profile as growth media? I think Profile are used as substrate by some folks.
2. Can I use plants tabs to fertilize the house plants that are now being grow hydroponically? or aquaponically.
3. How many plants would it take to handle a 180g tank with pretty heavy fish load?
4. Do I need other macro micro fert for these house plants?

I can't get my nitrate to go below 40ppm because the tap has pretty high nitrate in the 10-20ppm range, so that is my baseline.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by toffee; 04-04-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
where in CA are you? if you have 10-20ppm nitrate without ading ferts, im not sure i would do anything.

as for how many plants?? thats a hard question to answer definitively, lots of slow growers, fewer fast growers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
1) I think Profile should be fine since it's pretty much inert and retains a lot of moisture.

2) I don't think you would add any terrestrial ferts to the houseplants if only because you want them to be extracing macro-nutrients from the aquarium water. Also, any ferts that you add to the planting material will leach out and end up in the tank water.

3) Hard to say. Start off with six or eight 4" potted plants and see how it goes. Maybe some ivy or other vine-types that are easy to prune back as they grow. Or just pick houseplants that you think look nice.

4) You may need to add some potassium (K2SO4, potassium sulphate) to the tank since there won't be a lot of it being released by fish food/waste.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys for your advise.

I am thinking of following Barr's article and use peace lilies for it's ability to grow under low light condition. I think I will start with may be 3 of those and add a few pothos.

K2SO4 is a good idea, how much should I add to start with?

Would it be a logical assumption that once the plants and media are established, the growing media, in this case Profile, would also be acting as biological filter? So in theory I may be able to run just a mechanical filter?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can try 1 T of K2SO4 a week.

Wouldn't the plant's roots be the providing the bulk of the biological fitration? In any event, yes. Once the plants are established and growing all you'd really need is mechanical filtration to remove particulates from the water.

óBill

|
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Bill, gonna shop for K2SO4.

For the plants to grow and eventually act as biological filter, what kind of water movement would be preferred? I would think that for the plants to grow, they prefer a slow water movement? I am thinking of using a landscape low pressure drip manifold and have it fed by a powerhead. I think each of those outlet can throw like 30gph, and i think if I use 2 lines per plant, that is 60gph per plant or a total of 240gph per manifold.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen setup where the plants are situated above a tank on a shelf with their roots dangling into the water. If you keep the Profile constantly damp, and have the return water mechanically filtered before returning to the tank, you should be fine.

How are you planning on setting up the planters?

óBill

|
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am thinking of planting them in pots and place them on top of the cabinet, which is a good 18 inches from the top of the tank. So the pump/powerhead would have to suffer an 18" head and roots would be restricted inside the pots.

Currently I have a sump which I nick named the Nitrate machine

Last edited by toffee; 04-03-2007 at 02:40 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I've been running an aquatic plant filter for some time now. Been seriously thinking about setting up an emersed plant filter with peace lilies. Haven't done it yet, but I can tell that I am headed in that direction.......

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Naja, I was thinking of running an plant filter out of the sump, but I believe not enough space to house enough plants to make it work. The tank is 180g and the sump's 20g ...

My "initial" stage of emersed plant filter (EPF) is up and running, it consist of 3 peace lilies and 2 pothos, all in pots and placed on top of the cabinet. Water's pump from tank to pots by a powerhead that is rated at 500g. I also connected an UV sterlizer alone the way.

EPF = Powerhead -> UV -> manifold -> pots -> tank

Interesting, some sort of cycling should be going on in the pots full of profile. I am wondering how long it will take the Nitrifying Bacteria to get established there? Can the nitrifying bacteria in the pots give the nitrifying bacteria in the sump a run for their NH3?

Last edited by toffee; 04-04-2007 at 06:24 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm not quite sure what this look like, any pics?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's another article for you:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...t_Filters.html

It suggests at the top of the page that it may replace the mechanical filter as well.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Aman74, nice read.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intermision View Post
I'm not quite sure what this look like, any pics?
I suck at taking pics, but here you go:

The plants on top of the cabinet are the emerged plant filter (epf)

The plants of epf, currently 3 peace lilies and 2 pothos. I need to get more plants and wait for them to grow and mature.

Tank water is pump by a maxijet500 to this UV sterilizer:

and distributed by this maniford:

Then drip at 28gph per line at the plants.

I have 2 lines for each peace lilies and 1 line for each potho. Total 8 lines at 224 gph or there about.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:31 AM

Interesting idea with the drip irrigation manifold, I never really thought about that one. I spend about two hours a week at Lowe's wandering thinking about ideas for my tanks and I always end up at the irrigation area, i'll have to spend some time tinkering there this weekend.

I have been thinking about this for my 100 gallon tank, on a self behind it, i was thinking bare roots but the profile might do the trick. I've been having horribly nitrates in that tank. If it works i have two more tanks i could give it a shot on .

I had some peace lillies in my vivarium that grew so well i had to split them twice and they were just planted in gravel to act as a filter for some newts and a frog. In time I could see yours needing some splitting as well

jason

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode