what kind of dosing regimen for these water parameters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey everyone
so i found out some parameters for my water supply and was wondering if you guys could recommend a dosing regimen for my given parameters. here they are:

Hardness as CaCO3 249ppm(milligrams/liter)
Ca 65.3ppm
K 4.00ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3 124ppm
CO3 0ppm
HCO3 151ppm
SO4 188ppm
NO3 1.04ppm
pH 8.15
PO4 .02ppm
N .003ppm
Fe 50ppb(micrograms/liter)

I know the list is kinda extensive but Im kinda lost with the repeats of certain chemicals. For example CaCO3 is repeated twice once as hardness and once as alkalinity, and NO3 and N are listed. Is there anyone whos an expert in chemistry that can help me out and recommend a dosing regimen please? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I am not a chemistry expert, but looking at the values tells me you have hard water, which makes certain things easier.

More than what's in your tap water, your tank setup will determine how often and how much you have to dose. It differs very much with tank volumen, lighting level, plant density, type of plants, fish mass, feeding schedule, etc. Hard to give recommendations based on your tap water alone.

Assuming you are talking about a high-light tank, you need at least a NO3 and PO4 testkit, to determine those levels and then dose accordingly. Potassium, Traces and Iron can be dosed based on gutfeel, calculated target levels, water changes, and available time willing to spend maintaining the tank. Could be once a week, twice a week, daily... all depends.

Hope that helps some :mrgreen:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here is where you should be...
Using Flourish, Kent , Tropica MasterGro , etc. Start off by dosing per the bottle instructions. With time and plant growth you may find the need to up your dosages slightly.

These are the biggies.... your Macro Nutrients (Nitrogen, Phospherous, Potassium)
Nitrates are supplied using potassium nitrate (KNO3) Target is 5 - 10 ppm
Phosphates are supplied using monopotassium sulfate or Fleet Enema Target is .5 - 1 ppm
Potassiumis supplied using potassium sulfate (K2SO4) or potassium chloride (No-Salt) Target is 20 ppm

Hit theses levels on your test kits and dont sweat the others for now and see how it does.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
More than what's in your tap water, your tank setup will determine how often and how much you have to dose. It differs very much with tank volumen, lighting level, plant density, type of plants, fish mass, feeding schedule, etc. Hard to give recommendations based on your tap water alone.
Hi Wasser
oops sorry Ill give you some more info about my tank setup. As far as lights go I have 2 55watt 6700k over a 20 gallon long setup. I have a pressurized CO2 setup which I will be using accordingly. Does anyone happen to know how to convert all the mumbo jumbo I wrote down into simpler things like dKh and dGh? Here are some of the plants I am considering using for this tank:
glosso, didiplis diandra, dwarf lobelia, heteranthera, dwarf hairgrass, dwarf lily, and java moss.
i may end up adding some others but all in all there should be a good number of plants in the tank. oh also i do have test kits for dKh, dGh, pH, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. i will be using seachems line of ferts for dosing and of them i have their nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and flourish supplements. maybe this can help a little?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
ppm/17.9 will give you degrees of hardness.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
ppm/17.9 will give you degrees of hardness.
hey rex
which compound should i be dividing by 17.9 to get the hardness of my water? and is that dKh or dGh? its been a while since ive taken chem and all the chemical compounds listed on the water information i got have so many repeats of each other.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
CaCO3 as hardness if I remember correctly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would simply suggest using your GH and KH test kit and disregard those parameters if they were from your water supplier. dGH is the hardness in CaCO3 and KH measures buffering capacity and usually does so by measuring bicarbonate, HCO3-.

You should pick up a NO3 and PO4 test kit from redsea IMO, or seachem.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo737
I would simply suggest using your GH and KH test kit and disregard those parameters if they were from your water supplier. dGH is the hardness in CaCO3 and KH measures buffering capacity and usually does so by measuring bicarbonate, HCO3-.

You should pick up a NO3 and PO4 test kit from redsea IMO, or seachem.
Hi rolo
i will be testing my water but i dont think i should disregard the parameters given by my local water authority. i still have yet to learn about buffering and what exactly all these listings mean. however ill let you guys know what i get from my test kits soon. ill probably try and test the water today.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Why would you want to use those results from your supplier if you will find your own? The suppliers results can be old, and sometimes the water parameters change when they reach your tap. Plus, since you have different parameters accounting for the same element, e.g. Ca, do you know which one to use to find hardness?

I am very sure that you should divide your "hardness as CaCO3" by 17.9 to find dGH and "HCO3" for dKH. However, since this isn't absolute, thats why I suggested to disregard their parameters.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hey rolo
i was just saying that it never hurts to know what comes out of the tap from the suppliers themselves. it also never hurts to check on your own what your water contains as well. you made a very good point in that the information supplied by water authorities can be old. still, it can never hurt to find out what they say that the water has in it. ive been learning new things about chem that i never knew since i asked this question.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode