use of Boron... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
use of Boron...

If Boron is limited it can sometimes block the calcium uptake of plants.

The level in dry freshwater plants is 26 to 382 mg/kg

In Japan, South Africa, and South America the Boron concentration in freshwater is generally below 0.3 mg/litre

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/boron/l-2/boron-3.htm#1

Do you think it will be the concentration needed in aquarium?

Most of the time, in natural setup, the concentration is much lower for most nutrient compare to our aquarium. I guess itís because you get a lot more water movment and the soil is a lot more rich???

Somebody already use boron to recover from a calcium deficiency?

Did you use Boric acid and in what concentration?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Boron concentration in the water in planted tanks is difficult to choose because safe range of boron concentration is very narrow. I make my own micro fertilizer and i have recently set boron dose to 0.012 ppm per week. When there is more than 0.04..0.05 ppm B in the water in my tank many plants stop growing immediately (and pearling ceases) and some show chlorosis which looks like iron deficiency. Also, new leaves get deformed (some leaves are bent) Tap water usually contains 0.02..0.05 ppm of boron (depending on the region). Boron deficiency resembles calcium deficency and sometimes is difficult to tell the two. If you don't know what amounts of boron are in your tap water it is better not to add it but if you wish to make our own micro fertilizer i think it would be good practise to add 0.01..0.02 ppm boron weekly. In most cases boric acid is used as a source of boron.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode