No pearling? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
No pearling?

I noticed over the last couple of days that my plants are not pearling as much as they used to? I do a 20% water change a week and the co2 and other water parameters are the same. My ph controller is set for 6.50. I don't know if I got enough co2 going into the tank. Any ideas?

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (266/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,417
Everything is the same as before? How old are your bulbs? And changes in dosing? Livestock? Does the tank get outside sunlights?
epicfish is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
eklikewhoa's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: houston,TX
Posts: 1,924
If everthing is exactly the same I would say either check/replace your bulbs and do bigger waterchanges.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eklikewhoa is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
RoseHawke's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 1,878
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Presumably the compact fluorescents don't age like the regular fluorescents do but I'm not so sure. I see a definite difference in brightness between a pair of older bulbs I've got and a pair of newer bulbs. Light intensity definitely affects pearling as well as I don't see near the amount with 2wpg as I did with 4wpg.

SlŠinte!
Cindy



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
I don't think it's the lights I've only had them for 3months? or do you think they could be no good? All the water parameters are the same except my kh gets one degree harder every month. I will try to change out more water. Do you guys think overdoseing with excel for a staghorn and hair algae problem could cause no pearling?

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
I'm running almost 6wpg. 192watts over 30gal

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 PM
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 27
what r u using to feed your plants ?? that could be stunting the pearling = less .. if they arebt growing they arent using the co2 .. hence the slow growth? also excel basically is adding more co2 so i dont this it is hurting anything? try replacing half your bulbs on 1 side & see if that side gets going
GhoSt knifE!! is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (266/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,417
Do a larger WC, 50%. Get a drop checker. Crank up the CO2 to optimal conditions. Don't rely on your pH controller. Why? Because you said your kH is changing every month!
epicfish is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Do a larger WC, 50%. Get a drop checker. Crank up the CO2 to optimal conditions. Don't rely on your pH controller. Why? Because you said your kH is changing every month!
It changes 1 degree each month, I started with 3kh when I started the tank,now i'm up to 5kh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhoSt knifE!! View Post
what r u using to feed your plants ?? that could be stunting the pearling = less .. if they arebt growing they arent using the co2 .. hence the slow growth? also excel basically is adding more co2 so i dont this it is hurting anything? try replacing half your bulbs on 1 side & see if that side gets going
I'm using seachem stuff. Excel,trace,florish,potassium,iron,nitrogan,and phosphorus.

I did a 50% water change today,I'll check the parameters this eveing and see where I'm at. At least after a water change everything is pearling!!!
Thanks guys appriciate all the help!!!

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
Epicfish,

What kind of drop checker should I get,or what brand do you think is good?

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (266/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnakas View Post
It change 1 degree each month, I started with 3kh when I started the tank,now i'm up to 5kh
I'm using seachem stuff. Excel,trace,florish,potassium,iron,nitrogan,and phosphorus.
Do you have any livestock?

Your changing kH is interesting. Are you doing WCs and topping off with RO water or tap water?

Get a drop checker for a more accurate reading of your CO2 levels...especially since your kH is changing.
epicfish is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (266/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnakas View Post
Epicfish,

What kind of drop checker should I get,or what brand do you think is good?
PM sent on the issue.
epicfish is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
milesm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: HI
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnakas View Post
It changes 1 degree each month, I started with 3kh when I started the tank,now i'm up to 5kh
I'm using seachem stuff. Excel,trace,florish,potassium,iron,nitrogan,and phosphorus.

I did a 50% water change today,I'll check the parameters this eveing and see where I'm at. At least after a water change everything is pearling!!!
Thanks guys appriciate all the help!!!
howzit naka,

maybe you should try greg watsons ferts. even with the shipping to hawaii, all of the stuff will be cheaper in the long run than seachem stuff. easy enough to dose dry.

go to compleat kitchen in ala moana and get a set of those specialty measuring spoons (smidgen, pinch, dash), cost less than $3 (call ahead to see if they have in stock) if you do ei.

i also have a 30 gal, but with 72 watts cf. i can grow the basic stuff hygros, r. rotundifolia, and a little more demanding plants like l. aromatica, l. inclinata, l. ovalis. i've had a carpet of glosso cover the entire foreground. 192 watts may be too much if you've got staghorn. that also must generate a lot of heat. i have very little algae (mainly gsa) and the tank doesn't get too hot (no light fans).

laters,

milesm
milesm is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
rnakas's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Do you have any livestock?

Your changing kH is interesting. Are you doing WCs and topping off with RO water or tap water?

Get a drop checker for a more accurate reading of your CO2 levels...especially since your kH is changing.
I do a 20% WC a week using tap water. It pearls real good right after the water change then when the lites go out for 2hrs and turn back on again in the afternoon. Pearling is very limited, The tank used to pearl all the time. I wonder if siesta period is no good? 8am to 12. 12 to 2pm siesta then 2pm to 8:30pm. 10.5 hr total Also I have 2sae's, 8neons, 8 assorted tetra's( small ones,rummynose,silvertip,phantom. 2 blue rams. 2 corys and 3 otto's. Do you think it's to many fish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
howzit naka,

maybe you should try greg watsons ferts. even with the shipping to hawaii, all of the stuff will be cheaper in the long run than seachem stuff. easy enough to dose dry.

go to compleat kitchen in ala moana and get a set of those specialty measuring spoons (smidgen, pinch, dash), cost less than $3 (call ahead to see if they have in stock) if you do ei.

i also have a 30 gal, but with 72 watts cf. i can grow the basic stuff hygros, r. rotundifolia, and a little more demanding plants like l. aromatica, l. inclinata, l. ovalis. i've had a carpet of glosso cover the entire foreground. 192 watts may be too much if you've got staghorn. that also must generate a lot of heat. i have very little algae (mainly gsa) and the tank doesn't get too hot (no light fans).

laters,

milesm
Milesm,

I stagger the 2nd light right now to only get 8 hrs a day and the other one 10.5hrs. It does get real hot( the fixture does) however it doesn't seem to heat the water to much . The light is a coralife aqualight on the legs that raise it above the tank. The fixture has a fan also so I guess it helps. I was only going to use one bulb and run it straight [email protected] I figured more light would be better but I'm still new at this. Saltwater live rock did better with bright light but I also had a chiller hooked up(to bad I gave it away with the rest of my saltwater stuff). What do you think I should do? Oh by the way, tell me more about the dry ferts.

Aloha,Rick

30gal
192 watt 6700k coralife
304 fluval w/9watt inline turbotwist
5lb co2 pinpoint controller,milwalkee reg,clippard solenoid.
rnakas is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome