Unhappy Cloudy water

Here are the facts:

Gh 16.85
Kh 6.74
Ph 6.2

Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia ??

My water is cloudy and is suffering from a bacterial bloom (most likely cycling). I'm planning on introducing more Purigen into my filter and some Bio-Spira. Any idea how to bring down my water Hardness (Gh??) I do not have the $$ for a RO/DI unit now, but eventually will get one. I doubt that there are any permanent solutions to this problem but just curious if anyone knows of something else that might help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
oh, so apparently no one is going to help me with this problem huh? I have 200mL of Purigen, maybe I need some more but after 50% water change the next day cloudy as ever. Couldn't get my hands on any Bio-Spira. Here are the current H20 parameters:

Regular Tap (after 24hrs.)

Ph 7.8
Kh 180ppm
Gh 300ppm
Nitriate O
Nitrate 20ppm

Currently

Ph 6.8
Kh 120ppm
Gh 300ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Any ideas that don't require me running out and buying a UV filter?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
i told you! LEAVE IT ALONE! as far as the hardness problem, i am stumped.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

oh you are something! I've PM'd you...isn't it weird how I have 20ppm (1degree) nitrate coming out of the tap? Never had that in Baton Rouge...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
how long has the tank been up and running?? it should go away in a few weeks i would do some water changes. i had the same problem a few weeks ago with the clouldy water did a few water changes and once it was done cycling it was so clear and i wouldnt add any more Purigen i have the same amount in mine.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

John S -

Well this is week 2 I believe. I have been adding Seachem Stability for about 3 days now and I've got 4 more days to go. Exactly how cloudy did yours get? I mean it is cloudy, I can't even see the back of the tank or my plants! I've decided to just do a weekly 50% water change and leave it at that. The next day it goes right back to how it is anyway, so what is the point? I mean how long does it take to finish cycling! Ridiculous...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
What do you have in the tank as far as fish and plants? Doesn't AS cause ammonia issues for quite some time?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

no fish, packed w/plants...but i'm surprised that it lasts as long as it has....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx1 View Post
I mean how long does it take to finish cycling! Ridiculous...
3-4 weeks to answer your question. Also what substrate are you using? This is really important.

I JUST set up my 60gal tank Friday night. I expected the water to be cloudy because I did not rinse my substrate. I was told I should but really I don't have the facilities or the Time to run out and get supplies. I used Tahitian Moon Sand, its black as black can be. It clouded up the water quite a bit during planting. As you can see here. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...tml#post390255

Now, to rid the tank of the cloudiness I actually attached a coffee filter to the output of my cannister filter. If I wait 12 hours and remove it, the coffee filters are stained black by the crap aloft in the water column, its getting "clearer" but thats due to mechanical filtration methods. I have never been a fan of chemically treating water to clear it up. I'm in fact looking to see if I can find a Micron filter to clear it up with a quickness. But I hear the Vortex line of filters has gone down hill.

Starting over with the 60 gallon cube after 6 years out of the hobby!

19 Neon Tetras
0 Cherry Shrimp
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
If you have no fish, then you aren't cycling unless you are adding ammonia...
Cycling refers to the process of establishing bacteria that converts ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. No ammonia = no cycling.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
he's using ADA, so i know he has some ammonia in there. just too hard-headed to test for it.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lightbulb

ROTFLOL!!! And you are so right! It has been so long since I've had to cycle a tank I forgot what it was like. But, fortunately I just found out that I can buy some BioSpira locally, thank god! So I hope that should cut that time down to a week. Steven Lo from www.aquaforestaquarium.com where I got my AS said that AS has a high organic content that has to be addressed in the first month, but thereafter is resolved. Dane, I thought you only had yours set up for a week or two? Needless to say I'm headed out to get me some BioSpira and that should fix this issue once and for all!

macclellan-my substrate, aquasoil provides plenty of ammonia, that's for sure!
RedIrocZ-28- I thought that the Vortex Freedom filter, since it is so small and portable, was a really good model. What news do you have about them? Has the manufacturer changed? I actually was going to get one this summer (along with a UV, Dane) but if the quality has went downhill I'd rather spend my $$ on another brand with a good history...

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I haven't had much luck with that product but a nice squeeze from a filter in another tank works great.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Don't use a UV sterilizer now. You wil kill the bacteria that's swirling around in the water and slow down your cycle.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh don't worry I won't, I was just making plans for this summer in terms of what equipment I'm planning on purchasing. Thanks Chrona...Oh CarolF if only you were here and I could get a quick squeeze from u, my problems would be solved! lol! But I'm headed to get some BioSpira so that should fix my problem...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode